The Grand National, is it cruel ?

Starlc

Not existing in the first place. After all, I wasn't born a hundred years ago, ........ but I didn't know it.

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 21:50 ----------

Discuss all you like sir. I could never condone horse racing.

Well I am a horse lover, a horse owner and I am pro horse racing as I know the ins and outs of the sport and know that it isn't a cruel sport what so ever. The horses are given life and then get an extremely good quality of life afterwards. The sport is highly regulated in order to protect the animals. I see no problems at all.

After Saturdays Grand National two horses ,Seedling and Balder Succes where put down after falling at Aintree over the weekend.

Is the race just to dangerous for the horses involved or do they not matter as long as we can all have a flutter or a day out.

But these horses wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for horse racing. They don't come about by a normal process but are bred from other top horses specifically for horse racing. Having a lot of horses in our family that we love we still accept that this happens, it might upset us when horses are injured and killed but never the less we understand the ins and outs and that they wouldn't be here without the sport. In addition to this the horses are really well looked after. They get daily exercise and get fed a great diet and overall get wrapped in cotton wool and looked after like royalty.

I believe the grand national is a cruel event. I don't buy your argument that it's good because those horses who are killed by their jockeys wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for the grand national. If people stop breeding horses for these races, horses won't suffer. Greedy horse-breeders and gamblers may suffer, but not the horses.

It is difficult to justify any form of jump racing. Flat racing has very few accidents but jumping seems to me to unnatural. I realize it derives from hunting and I also appreciate that the Aintree officials have done a great deal to make the fences safer but it still seems to me an unnecessary sport when flat racing is just as entertaining.

First rule of 21st century life: whatever you do, there will be somebody on the internet who wants to stop you doing it.

Sorry to tell you this, but these people who have wanted to stop people doing whatever they want to animals have been around before the 21st century and long before the internet. I believe such people have been around for hundreds of years. Why is it so wrong to be concerned about animal welfare? Obviously people have different views on whether or not the grand national is cruel, but do you think we don't have a right to voice our concerns? Are you still campaigning to bring the Botanical Gardens bearpit back into use?

Sorry to tell you this, but these people who have wanted to stop people doing whatever they want to animals have been around before the 21st century and long before the internet. I believe such people have been around for hundreds of years. Why is it so wrong to be concerned about animal welfare? Obviously people have different views on whether or not the grand national is cruel, but do you think we don't have a right to voice our concerns? Are you still campaigning to bring the Botanical Gardens bearpit back into use?

So what would you ban then? Jump racing? Flat racing? Showjumping? Dressage? Horseriding altogether?