Do you shop in Aldi and Lidl's?

I really don't know why this is even much of a Story.

Aldi has over 200 more stores than Waitrose. They have heavy advertising on television. They are aiming for a totally different market (its like comparing John Lewis to Primark) and to me Waitrose are still a long way from being defined as a "mainstream" supermarket - I still think of them as being more in the M&S or Booths bracket.

Personally, I don't like either Aldi or Lidl. For all their supposed value, I find the savings simply not worth it. I have never once been able to complete a full shop and always find myself having to top up missing items from somewhere else - which inevitably leads to spending more. The lack of any sort of fresh deli and (in Aldi) fresh bakery is disappointing. The lack of 24 hour opening (which as a shift worker is a lifesaver), the poor stock levels and unpredictability with non food items and the chaotic checkout systems just doesn't do it for me. I have tried twice to get into it but I just cant. Sometimes I feel its just worth paying the little more for full service.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest sibon

Aldi's wine is good value too.

Nope. Aldi wine is cheap, and cheap for a reason. It is generally poor.

The best value supermarket wine is Asda. They must have some really talented buyers.

The last few times I have tried to use Aldi (Sheffield meadowhall retail park) at 4pm when I pick my fella up from work they have had no Butter, very limited salad and the bread section was picked over with only split packs and limited shelf life. We have gone back to the Asda at Handsworth. Can't see the point in splitting the shop between the two as it a chore at the best of the time. Tried Ocado a few times but rather see the meats, fruits and vegetables before I buy.

I only buy a few things from the Aldi that is located close to me. They most meat for unbelievably affordable prices and their vegetables are top notch, but I learned that their steak is not as adequate as the one's in Tesco.

Of the few times I have been to the Lidl on Chesterfield Road they have had very poor offering of fresh bread - packed bread rolls even worse, and lots of empty fridges where salmon, chicken breasts, etc are supposed to be. I have tried a few of their cheeses and they seem to go mouldy incredibly quickly and way before the best before date - I wonder if they are stored poorly?

The Aldi at Archer Road is unbearable with the Fulwood set, stopping to chat in the aisles for an hour, allowing no one to get past. The store at the bottom of London Road is a much more pleasant experience.

Of the few times I have been to the Lidl on Chesterfield Road they have had very poor offering of fresh bread - packed bread rolls even worse, and lots of empty fridges where salmon, chicken breasts, etc are supposed to be. I have tried a few of their cheeses and they seem to go mouldy incredibly quickly and way before the best before date - I wonder if they are stored poorly?

The Aldi at Archer Road is unbearable with the Fulwood set, stopping to chat in the aisles for an hour, allowing no one to get past. The store at the bottom of London Road is a much more pleasant experience.

That doesn't say much about the Aldi on Archer Road, as I found shopping at the London Road branch to be horrible! Thanks for the heads up, I'll avoid like the plague.

If anyone had the time, energy or inclination I guess they could go to different supermarkets and get the items that they wanted from each. But people have lives & finite resources so that's not an option.

Sometimes, it just depends what I feel like eating because there's specific stuff I prefer.

I think this is right. Aldi have some products that are good value but don't go there thinking that everything is going to be cheaper and better quality as well. Some of their bread, fruit and meat is good as are spirits, but for some stuff I still go to Sainsbury's.

Waitrose is just over-priced, everyone knows it. But it keeps the 'riff-raff' out so posh old ladies can shop in peace.

Half the time the produce is the same in either store anyway.

My friend works for a died pasta producer (riveting job I know) but their stuff ends up in all the major supermarkets. I'm sure it's the same for many other items too, same producer and different packages.