Drying a terracotta plant pot, will the oven crack it?

I've made a Tandoori oven from dustbin, fire bricks, vermiculite instulater and a plant pot. It worked but the pot cracked; I'm guessing because it had moisture in it.

I've bought a new pot and want to dry it out first, I was thinking of the oven on very very low for a couple of hours.

Any potters out there? Do you think this will work?

I've made a Tandoori oven from dustbin, fire bricks, vermiculite instulater and a plant pot. It worked but the pot cracked; I'm guessing because it had moisture in it.

I've bought a new pot and want to dry it out first, I was thinking of the oven on very very low for a couple of hours.

Any potters out there? Do you think this will work?

No>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The pot was from a garden center, not exactly fire grade but I assumed it would be OK.

It had probably been outside for months prior to me buying it so being porous, I guess it absorbed a fair amount of moisture. I need to dry the new one out first I think before reassembling the oven which is why I thought cooking it on very very low might do it.

The food was really nice, Naan breads stuck to the inside and cooked really well. t eh chicken on a skewer was also excellent.

It looks like you've put a lot of effort into making this oven.:)

I guess if you used a decent terracotta pot, there's a good chance it may work. By this, I mean don't buy the cheapest as I suspect they're designed to fall apart. They're probably not fired to a very high temperature, and have impurities in the clay ... which will explode at high temp (I did pottery at art school).

Look for a pot that's got scorch marks on it would be my advice ... that'll mean it's got pretty hot in the firing kiln. Good luck! :thumbsup: