Gloss kitchen work top

Personally I think the gloss kitchen thing is a fashion which will pass, although high quality granite, marble and composite worktops are in themselves good products but not because of how they look.

Granite and especially marble are porous and stain very easily. Anything with a gloss finish is going to show scratches very quickly (if the kitchen's gonna be used, as opposed to just look good).

In my opinion, you can't beat a solid wood worktop ... if it gets damaged, just sand it down a bit and re-oil. Other than that ... stainless steel.

I would never have wood in the same way that I don't use wooden chopping boards. Once upon a time I worked in the food industry and had to do a food safety/hygiene course and it was stressed that wood is the most unhygienic medium out there

I would never have wood in the same way that I don't use wooden chopping boards. Once upon a time I worked in the food industry and had to do a food safety/hygiene course and it was stressed that wood is the most unhygienic medium out there

With the greatest respect, that is rubbish. Wood is no less 'hygienic' than any other kind of surface, in fact it has natural antiseptic properties which are far better for the human race than Microban and similar OTT antibacterials. It is also hardwearing, aesthetically pleasing and easily reparable if scratched or burnt.

If you are chopping raw meat or poultry on any surface (even one impregnated with Microban), you need to wash it immediately afterwards with dilute bleach. Otherwise no kitchen surface or chopping board is going to kill you, or even make you ill.

Get over yourself!

Edited by aliceBB

With the greatest respect, that is rubbish.
fair enough, you applied respect, good manners

Get over yourself!
ah well, your manners now let you down. took only a couple of sentences.

Hang thi head in shame and learn how to communicate

Back to my post - you may be correct. But my course was what was then the intermediate food hygiene cert, so when someone in the know with the apt qualifications teaches, I tend to listen, take note and act accordingly.