Magpies - what to do?

I too am plague by Magpies, my wife and I never get any other birds in our garden now.

there is a tree opposite where I live, there will be a number of Magpies sitting amongst its branches watching me doing the gardening, when I have finished and go back in the house and have a look at my efforts through the window, Magpies have arrived and either perched on the top of the fencing crapping ( and it looks terrible with a Red Cedar Fence ) or sat on the edge of my tubs throwing out the soil onto the paving slabs, or pulling the plants out.

Ages ago, I browsed the web hoping to find some lead as to how to deter them from the garden and came across a website selling life size and realistic looking Barn Owls ( not cheap either ), the ad stated that if this was put in the garden and was moved from time to time, this would deter the Magpies.

I bought one and followed the instructions...........did no good whatsoever, instead of frightening off the Magpies, I occasionally would see one sat on the Barn Owl's head and trying to peck it !

These birds are a pest and frightened off nothing !

Magpies slaughter blackbirds and other song birds.

But the hawks will go for them.

I photographed this in our garden

http://s1083.photobucket.com/

Can't access these - what do they show dude?

---------- Post added 17-04-2015 at 19:19 ----------

These birds are a pest and frightened off nothing !

Agreed............

---------- Post added 17-04-2015 at 19:20 ----------

Only get about one magpie. Most are wrens, robins, bluetits, sparrows etc

Lucky you. Wait till he finds a wife! :hihi:

---------- Post added 17-04-2015 at 19:21 ----------

you want me to see your donkey?

:D...........

Edited by Solomon1

Magpies are corvids, so no problems killing them, a decent air rifle will do the job. No licence or permission required, if they're on your land, they're yours to shoot.

Part of me really wants to do it!

Then the other part thinks...what if I kill his wife! :(

Squirrels and Magpies............shoot them as accurately as possible so as not to cause suffering..........and as soon as possible! with a good airgun.I am also considering pigeons that are taking over my garden and crap everywhere possible.

Squirrels and Magpies............shoot them as accurately as possible so as not to cause suffering..........and as soon as possible!

Thanks Mossdog

It may well come to that...

Another season's hatchlings will soon be on their way :suspect: