Basement Wars - be glad you live in Sheffield!

They are the people in the know. Armageddon is finally about to happen.

Indeed some of these mole holes could be used as bunkers. Others had sweeping staircases down into them and huge patio doors opening to outside so impractical in withstanding blast. Still in the ones that are viable bunkers at least the occupants could have a swim, a game of tenpin bowls or hang out in their personal nightclubs while we all kill each other outside. And they probably will do that.

This should be making some people very happy.

1. Rich people are annoying other rich people. :clap:

2. They are spending some of the money they have instead of hoarding it in foreign bank accounts. :clap:

3. They are creating employment. :clap:

4. They are injecting money into the economy which pays the wages of the less well off. :clap:

5. And all this increases tax revenues for government which can be used to provide public services. :clap:

So all in all not much to complain about unless you are rich and living close to them. :thumbsup:

This should be making some people very happy.

1. Rich people are annoying other rich people. :clap:

2. They are spending some of the money they have instead of hoarding it in foreign bank accounts. :clap:

3. They are creating employment. :clap:

4. They are injecting money into the economy which pays the wages of the less well off. :clap:

5. And all this increases tax revenues for government which can be used to provide public services. :clap:

So all in all not much to complain about unless you are rich and living close to them. :thumbsup:

Or perhaps they should be paying considerable more in tax so we can have better schools, hospitals, roads etc instead of simply building vanity projects?

Apart from anything else, why would you want two storeys of artificially lit and ventilated 'living space' in the bowels of the earth beneath your house? It would be like being buried.

I'd have the bedroom down there.

I have trouble sleeping at the best of times, so being two storys underground would be heaven for me.

I'd sleep like a log.

Or perhaps they should be paying considerable more in tax so we can have better schools, hospitals, roads etc instead of simply building vanity projects?

The video says that many of them are owned by rich foreigners, so presumably they pay tax in another country, obviously the government could change the rules and make them pay lots of tax here, but then here might not be such a good place to buy an house. If they don't buy the house and spend millions on it there will be less employment, less money in the economy and less tax paid to government, so less spent on schools, hospitals and roads.

i thought it was an excellent way of saving building space whilst increasing the value of your home, short term disruption but on the whole well worth it.

---------- Post added 16-04-2015 at 11:40 ----------

Apart from anything else, why would you want two storeys of artificially lit and ventilated 'living space' in the bowels of the earth beneath your house? It would be like being buried.

but that's not the point i don't think its all for living space more for pool rooms , gyms, cinema rooms etc maybe a spare bedroom? also the lower ground floor could be well lit from above? whats not to like?

Hey, don't think this doesn't happen in Sheffield. Only the other day the plonkers that tried to convert the basement in the old Butler's Balti building were sentenced after their exploits caused the whole place to collapse (with people in it).