Another Tory Blunder

Has nobody pointed out to the oleaginous Call Me Dave that his pledge to keep minimum wage earners out of paying income tax is utterly meaningless...since they are already.

His 'pledge' only extends to the first 30 hours per week...so if you earn the min. wage at £6.85 per hour, for 30 hours, that makes just over £10,600...which is exactly what the current tax threshold is anyway.

Duh.

Has nobody pointed out to the oleaginous Call Me Dave that his pledge to keep minimum wage earners out of paying income tax is utterly meaningless...since they are already.

His 'pledge' only extends to the first 30 hours per week...so if you earn the min. wage at £6.85 per hour, for 30 hours, that makes just over £10,600...which is exactly what the current tax threshold is anyway.

Duh.

I read that as pledging that if the minimum wage increases then the tax free allowance will also be increased by at least that much.

Still it's far more fun isn't it to get an abusive little dig in....:roll:

I read that as pledging that if the minimum wage increases then the tax free allowance will also be increased by at least that much.

And your evidence for thinking that is...?

Surely someone with your phenomenal intellect must realise that when politicians make statements, they must be taken literally, not 'read' as/interpreted as something else. (It's usually more than we can hope for that they'll implement what they promise, let alone what you read into the promises!)

But I would be delighted to be proved wrong on this one. Where has he promised that the lower rate tax threshold would be linked to any rise in the NMW?

Edited by aliceBB

Duh.

Most Full time work is actually more like 35-40 hours a week.

The uk minimum is actually £6.70 an hour from October 2015 i.e £12,194 on a 35-hour week, or £13,936 for 40 hours.

So plenty of people are currently having to pay some tax above their 10,600 threshold. Cameron has pledged to increase the PTA to £12,500 within the next 5 years and with likely further increases in NMW by that time, its clear that such an increase could take millions of the lowest paid workers out of paying tax.

Its been widely reported and the FACTS are out there for everyone to see.

So, as you say... Duh.

I do wonder if there would be the same such attacks and venom if it was the Trade Union's favourite lapdog coming out with this pledge in his manifesto.

Edited by ECCOnoob

And your evidence for thinking that is...?

Surely someone with your phenomenal intellect must realise that when politicians make statements, they must be taken literally, not 'read' as/interpreted as something else. (It's usually more than we can hope for that they'll implement what they promise, let alone what you read into the promises!)

But I would be delighted to be proved wrong on this one. Where has he promised that the lower rate tax threshold would be linked to any rise in the NMW?

Oh look, more snidey abuse... :roll:

Why must they be taken literally?

And I'm sure if it had been Labour making the same statement, you would have grabbed that analysis above and praised Milliband for all he's worth.

It was the sneaky way he slipped in the 'up to 30 hours' proviso which was so cheap and dishonest. On the face of it, 'Minimum wage earners won't pay any tax under Tories' sounds very promising...but as I say, it's meaningless, when you factor in the 30 hours proviso.

I do wonder if there would be the same such attacks and venom if it was the Trade Union's favourite lapdog coming out with this pledge in his manifesto.

It never ceases to amaze me that the Left always accuse the Conservatives of being the "nasty party" when the record shows they are the ones that resort to abuse and smears almost instinctively.... and with depressing regularity.

---------- Post added 15-04-2015 at 22:43 ----------

It was the sneaky way he slipped in the 'up to 30 hours' proviso which was so cheap and dishonest. On the face of it, 'Minimum wage earners won't pay any tax under Tories' sounds very promising...but as I say, it's meaningless, when you factor in the 30 hours proviso.

....see what I mean.

If the tories make sure no one on minimum wage don't pay income tax, and keep helping those at the top avoid paying taxes, or reducing them, where will any revunue come from?

Probably by increasing VAT again :)