Kid Tells Tristam Hunt he would vote ukip

Until they get to University, then it'll cost them £9,000 a year, thanks in no small part to Nick Clegg's broken promise that wasn't really a promise because he came third instead of first.

For most it will actuality cost them nothing, on paper they will owe some money but in realty they will never have to pay it back, I would be happy to take on debt that I was never required to payback.

Until they get to University, then it'll cost them £9,000 a year

It will cost them NOTHING until they start to earn £21,000.

Even without a University education, people can gain enough qualifications to enter many different professions.

For most it will actuality cost them nothing, on paper they will owe some money but in realty they will never have to pay it back, I would be happy to take on debt that I was never required to payback.

It will cost them NOTHING until they start to earn £21,000.

Even without a University education, people can gain enough qualifications to enter many different professions.

My, my, do the pair of you have no ambition whatsoever?

Are you happy to work to work in McDonald's for the rest of your lives?

Or maybe go to University and leave with a nice degree in art? Or possibly history? Or something else of little use to the economy?

loraward, you were highly critical of the UK poaching medical staff from overseas, instructing us to train our own native health professionals instead.

But there's a big problem, you see, one that sadly requires us to poach these overseas health professionals.

It's a big £9,000 a year problem.

These tuition fees.

Education is still free. Any child can work hard and aspire to have a good job.

Unfortunately some children find themselves in over crowded schools and home environments where they are not getting the tuition and encouragement they deserve.

My, my, do the pair of you have no ambition whatsoever?

Are you happy to work to work in McDonald's for the rest of your lives?

Or maybe go to University and leave with a nice degree in art? Or possibly history? Or something else of little use to the economy?

loraward, you were highly critical of the UK poaching medical staff from overseas, instructing us to train our own native health professionals instead.

But there's a big problem, you see, one that sadly requires us to poach these overseas health professionals.

These tuition fees.

That's right and if I had my way the government would fund medical degree for Britain's brightest with a tie in which guarantees they will work for the NHS for at least ten years. I wouldn't want to fund someone basket weaving degree though, far too many young people are going to university and doing degree that serve no purpose, many need to stop thinking about uni and get out into the workplace.

The problem that exists is the education system itself.

European countries like Germany can afford zero tuition fees, as they have a system where young people can choose a more vocational pathway at 13/14. Therefore only the truly academic stay on at school, and highly intelligent people go to University.

Here in the UK everyone is pushed towards University. You don't need to go to Uni to get a good job. John Lewis and many top firms are now recruiting good individuals at 18, enticing them away from University.

Anyone going to University, and choosing a worthwhile degree, should be able to earn 21K+ within a few years, and be able to comfortably pay back their loan.

History degrees from good Universities (Oxbridge) are actually very valuable.

---------- Post added 16-04-2015 at 22:15 ----------

That's right and if I had my way the government would fund medical degree for Britain's brightest

Wouldn't work. Medicine is too competitive to get into, and many don't make it past the 5 years. The Government won't fund a course which students may fail. There are no shortages of applicants willing to accept the fees.

Some say poorer students are put off applying for medicine because of the fees. The fact is medicine is highly competitive, applicants need the top marks in their A-Levels and GCSEs, with plenty of work experience / extra-curricular activities. Some students just aren't willing to make that effort.

The problem that exists is the education system itself.

European countries like Germany can afford zero tuition fees, as they have a system where young people can choose a more vocational pathway at 13/14. Therefore only the truly academic stay on at school, and highly intelligent people go to University.

Here in the UK everyone is pushed towards University. You don't need to go to Uni to get a good job. John Lewis and many top firms are now recruiting good individuals at 18, enticing them away from University.

Anyone going to University, and choosing a worthwhile degree, should be able to earn 21K+ within a few years, and be able to comfortably pay back their loan.

History degrees from good Universities (Oxbridge) are actually very valuable.

---------- Post added 16-04-2015 at 22:15 ----------

Wouldn't work. Medicine is too competitive to get into, and many don't make it past the 5 years. The Government won't fund a course which students may fail. There are no shortages of applicants willing to accept the fees.

Some say poorer students are put off applying for medicine because of the fees. The fact is medicine is highly competitive, applicants need the top marks in their A-Levels and GCSEs, with plenty of work experience / extra-curricular activities. Some students just aren't willing to make that effort.

This is a very good point. Since the Student fees were introduced, more people have elected to go to Uni. Many graduates really aren't that bright.

This is a very good point. Since the Student fees were introduced, more people have elected to go to Uni. Many graduates really aren't that bright.

Raise fees.

Make entry harder.

Only top 10% should go to University.

Shut down the old Polytechnics and turn them into vocational colleges for 14+.

Make a University education worthwhile once again.

More people were going to university before the fees were introduced. That's why fees were introduced as Blair didn't want to keep funding more and more out of the state coffers.

"Overall participation in higher education increased from 3.4% in 1950, to 8.4% in 1970, 19.3% in 1990 and 33% in 2000.15"

Have a look at https://www.hesa.ac.uk/stats and click on the link Education: Historical Statistics 1920-2004.