Immigrants dying in the Mediterranean

Caring about people, yeah, it's hideous isn't it. Surely the world would be better if no one gave a stuff about anyone else?

I do care, believe it or not.

Immigration is a universal problem. Everyone wants the most educated immigrants, but nobody wants the uneducated, or those who have nothing. That's the problem.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

Examples please.

Wars and conflicts that put British interests before the interests others.

An NHS that recruits doctors from areas of the world that puts British interest before the interest of the local population from which they came, they suffer and die so that we can have prompt care for none life threatening ailments.

The importing of resources from around the world that put British interests before the interest of the local population from which they came, example, we get cheap coal without the risks associated with mining it, our demand for cheap goods puts the lives of others at risk.

A consumerist society that puts our desire to consume more than we need ahead of the health and welfare of others around the world.

I could keep going but it would distract attention away from the topic.

---------- Post added 21-04-2015 at 08:50 ----------

I do care, believe it or not.

Immigration is a universal problem. Everyone wants the most educated immigrants, but nobody wants the uneducated, or those who have nothing. That's the problem.

And that is one of the reason the third world countries can't develop, could you imagine if at some point in Britains past all the best and brightest had taken their skills to other parts of the world instead of using them to improve our society.

would miss hopkins refer to refugees fleeing hitler's nazi death squads as cockroaches?

I don't think she would.

Why is she allowed to say this today?

Is it because these are black africans she is writing about, and not white europeans?

(Wrong thread, sorry)

Edited by The Joker

would miss hopkins refer to refugees fleeing hitler's nazi death squads as cockroaches?

I don't think she would.

Why is she allowed to say this today?

Is it because these are black africans she is writing about, and not white europeans?

(Wrong thread, sorry)

We can still holiday in Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt, Algeria so what exactly are the people running from that are crossing the med from these countries.

Edited by loraward

We can still holiday in Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt, Algeria so what exactly are the people running from that are crossing the med from these countries.

A former migrant from Eritrea on BBC Breakfast this morning said he fled because of lack of liberty and lack of religious freedom.

A former migrant from Eritrea on BBC Breakfast this morning said he fled because of lack of liberty and lack of religious freedom.

Genuine question: Why travel 5000+ Km to the UK rather then settle in another African state? Nigeria for example.

Eritrean migrants are fleeing forced conscription and a repressive government. So says the Washington Post.

Poverty, political instability and civil war in Africa and the Middle East are powerful “push factors” for migration, Di Giacomo said, regardless of EU immigration policies. Syrians, who account for the largest number of arrivals by boat, have escaped a civil war that has killed more than 200,000 and turned nearly 4 million more into refugees. The UN expects another 500,000 Syrians to leave the country in 2015, according to the Associated Press. Refugees from Eritrea, the second-largest group of migrants, cite economic issues, forced conscription and a repressive government as their reasons for leaving. Many other Mediterranean migrants are people from sub-Saharan Africa who moved to Libya looking for work but are now seeking to escape violence and instability there.

Francesc Ortega, an economics professor and immigration expert at the City University of New York – Queens College, said that Europe will continue to see unauthorized immigrants crossing the Mediterranean as long as poverty and conflict persist. In a 2013 study he found that income disparities are a main driver of immigration — more significant than individual immigration policies.

The migratory pressures to Europe are something that’s not going to go away,” he said in a phone interview. “And the truth is there are very limited legal pathways to migrate to Europe. … Those two facts combined make smuggling very profitable.”

Echoing my sentiments and analysis perfectly.

Putting up walls around the Med isn't going to solve the problem. At all. It will just amount to the EU putting fingers in the dyke, while the flood continues to build up.

having just returned from a very nice holiday in Morocco from what i could see everyone was very happy and fairly affluent even in the poorer areas, they looked like they had a fairly good standard of living if they worked and tried..................maybe its the lazy ones that flood over here?

having just returned from a very nice holiday in Morocco from what i could see everyone was very happy and fairly affluent even in the poorer areas, they looked like they had a fairly good standard of living if they worked and tried..................maybe its the lazy ones that flood over here?

Are you seriously asking whether people who can't be bothered to get up off their backsides to help themselves, are the same people who are risking their lives in search of a better life?

To me it looks like the people that are making the trip seem to be the proactive type.

Are you seriously asking whether people who can't be bothered to get up off their backsides to help themselves, are the same people who are risking their lives in search of a better life?

To me it looks like the people that are making the trip seem to be the proactive type.

...a combination of failure to clampdown on illegal workers, a soft asylum system and the welfare state meant hordes of people were trying to reach the UK...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/442530/Britain-is-a-paradise-for-poor-migrants-say-angry-French