Immigrants dying in the Mediterranean

You seem to be as mathematically gifted as loraward :hihi:

149,800 in the UK out of 10m globally (per the link) is 1.5%, not 8.3% (1/12).

As regards your 1/1500 figure, you might want to read this link. Note that (before you put words in my mouth) I'm not saying 'hey there's tons of room to put refugees on'. I'm simply saying that we in the UK live on around 7% (at most) of that 1/1500th global land area. Not exactly piled one on top of the other, or bursting at the seams, are we?

Perhaps you need an optician to help you read your own posts.

Originally Posted by L00b View Post

the percentages appear to be 55% to Sudan, 15% to Saudi, 14% to the USA, 8% to the UK, 7% to the UAE. Sudan also takes 47% of refugees, by the look of things.

According to a UN report in 2011 the top three countries that took in the most refugees was Pakistan, Iran and Syria. 80% of refugees are in developing countries.

I think that defines the ability to pay quite well.

So 2011 stats are relevant now????:rolleyes: and anyway those three countries you mention may have taken them in then but i would bet that a good percentage have now moved on to Europe?

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 10:53 ----------

for your reading pleasure, courtesy of the UN.

Concerns Eritrea and 2013 Eritrean migration stats (since Eritreans currently constitute the bulk of Med-crossing migrants, but historically it's Syrians), but plenty more where that one came from.

Please turn to page 2, bottom right quarter: the percentages appear to be 55% to Sudan, 15% to Saudi, 14% to the USA, 8% to the UK, 7% to the UAE. Sudan also takes 47% of refugees, by the look of things.

For Syria, the percentages appear to be 37% to Saudi, 20% to the USA, 16% to the UAE, 16% to Jordan, 11% Germany. Turkey (35%), Jordan (34%) and Lebanon (18%) take 87% of the refugees, Iraq another 9% and Germany 2%.

But I suspect loraward will be along shortly to explain (:roll:) how and why my percentages don't stack up ;):hihi:

again out of date stats, no relevance to 2015 and whats happening now or even last year.

So 2011 stats are relevant now????:rolleyes: and anyway those three countries you mention may have taken them in then but i would bet that a good percentage have now moved on to Europe?

What are you basing your predictions upon? Have you more up to date information? You not suggesting that we need to have this years figures? You do know that we're not even a quarter of a way thorough this year?

Guest sibon

Then, I guess that you will have some stats to back up your guess.

So far, all we've seen is evidence that you are wrong.

What are you basing your predictions upon? Have you more up to date information? You not suggesting that we need to have this years figures? You do know that we're not even a quarter of a way thorough this year?

well not based on 3-4 year out of date ones certainly! in the last 12 months media reports are there for all to see! i dont see any media reports of these migrants flocking to other countries on boats, trains and automobiles?? forgive me if i missed those could you point me in the right direction?? thanks:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 11:05 ----------

only the same non stats you have? ah the evidence where is that then? oh the out of date stuff:suspect:

According to a UN report in 2011 the top three countries that took in the most refugees was Pakistan, Iran and Syria. 80% of refugees are in developing countries.

I think that defines the ability to pay quite well.

Syria is now one of the top countries of origin for refugee's, so far from taking them in they are shipping them out by the boatload.

Shows how things change so fast.

well not based on 3-4 year out of date ones certainly! in the last 12 months media reports are there for all to see! i dont see any media reports of these migrants flocking to other countries on boats, trains and automobiles?? forgive me if i missed those could you point me in the right direction?? thanks:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 11:05 ----------

only the same non stats you have? ah the evidence where is that then? oh the out of date stuff:suspect:

And it is pretty lame out of data figures as well. It is no use claiming Syria is taking large amounts of the refugees when the daily news shows hundreds of thousands of them trying to cross the border into Turkey.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 11:11 ----------

Have you any evidence to back that up?

Syria is now one of the top countries of origin for refugee's, so far from taking them in they are shipping them out by the boatload.

Shows how things change so fast.

Not with the point I was making though, which is that compared to their ability to support them, the poorest countries take in a disproportional amount of refugees. There is no evidence that suggest that this point has changed.