Immigrants dying in the Mediterranean

Like ocean finance?

(Sorry)

oh dear, :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 20-04-2015 at 12:32 ----------

I noticed in the reports and pictures yesterday - I couldn't see any women or children in the pictures, in fact you rarely see them.

The majority group you see are young men on those boats.

I noticed in the reports and pictures yesterday - I couldn't see any women or children in the pictures, in fact you rarely see them.

The majority group you see are young men on those boats.

Maybe because of the dangers involved? The idea could be for them to come here and then send money home?

Anyone else think this is a really tragic event. But yet cant help feeling we have our own problems, are just coming out of a depression and the government is right not to heap stacks more money into the eu to patrol the waters? I mean people are trying to get to other countries by dangerous means for years, its nothing new.

Of course if they make it across we have a duty to look after these unfortunate folk, but its really not our problem until then.

Just being honest :(

---------- Post added 20-04-2015 at 12:43 ----------

It is going to get much worse. The compassion I see on this thread for our fellow humans is reassuring. There is so much we can be doing to assist these poor people prepared to risk everything to get away from the misery engulfing them.

I got compassion but its a drop in the ocean (no pun intended). Why are all these people desperate to get across to europe in the first place? we look at the root not the branch...

---------- Post added 20-04-2015 at 12:46 ----------

And this is the problem . Europe is too appealing to these people , too welcoming . Make it less appealing and maybe these people wont take the risk trying to cross into mainland Europe to get to the UK .

compared to where they came from, its the land of milk and honey. Unfortunately it is overloading countries state assistance capabilities...I mean Italy etc cant afford to look after its own folk...neither can we for that matter.

The problem is that small countries like ourselves and Italy are over crowded and we just don't have the room or the houses to contain these people.

Where are we going to house them, I believe it was 10,000 last month that made it to Italy.

How can we turn round to our people on the housing list and tell them we have to house the refugees first? Even Nigel Farage admitted he would accept refugees.

He also said our past intervention in Libya contributed to a worse crisis there.

I'm glad he's showing some compassion, even when you don't support a certain political party and their policies that shouldn't have to mean you entirely dismiss every opinion the party leader holds.

Now the question is what are the EU going to do about all those thousands of migrant deaths in the sea. They need to find a solution.Italy is a member country of the EU, they need some support urgently.

So if they're all just economic migrants why not stick them all on the first ship back?

Well they don't get off the boat and say "where are all the jobs at". They know how the work the system. When we have news titles such as "50,000 failed asylum-seekers have gone 'missing' in the UK since 2012, report finds" don't you think they would take their chances.

The fact is, if these where genuine refugees fleeing oppression with nothing but the shirt on their back, they would have the means to pay $10,000 to get across the med.

I suspect and its worrying, that those in real need are trapped on the other side without any means to get to EU for protection and are easy pickings for criminal gangs and religious zealots alike.

I suspect and its worrying, that those in real need are trapped on the other side without any means to get to EU for protection and are easy pickings for criminal gangs and religious zealots alike.

Too true.

on another, slightly un-related note:

Where are all the blue flip-flops coming from???