BBC news readers and embelishment of foreign names

just been listening to radio2 and the news with Moira Stewart but it applys to other newsreaders on tv and radio, recently there seems to be an embellishment of how foreign names are pronounced for some reason, Moira was talking about french minister Christine Lagard.....but made great effort to pronounce it Lagaaarrd with a very hard R the other one that springs o mind is german PM Angel merkell, all BBc now pronounce it as Angellar??? why is this surely its unnecessary drama. :roll:

Maybe they've been given a script of how these people want their name pronounced in the media??

I've not heard either name in their native tongue so don't know how it should be pronounced.

maybe so but it sounds so insincere spoken in an english accent, why not the english version, Lagard and Angela? or whatever, i think maybe its more of the PC goings on in the BBC.

maybe so but it sounds so insincere spoken in an english accent, why not the english version, Lagard and Angela? or whatever, i think maybe its more of the PC goings on in the BBC.

Nigel Farage must have gone PC then because he pronounces Angela Merkel's name in the same way.

People complain about the BBC over some silly things but complaining that they pronounce peoples names correctly has to take the biscuit.

Nigel Farage must have gone PC then because he pronounces Angela Merkel's name in the same way.

People complain about the BBC over some silly things but complaining that they pronounce peoples names correctly has to take the biscuit.

Indeed. It is hardly, as the OP would put it, embellishment, but merely common courtesy.