BBC news readers and embelishment of foreign names

. . . the other one that springs o mind is german PM Angel merkell, all BBc now pronounce it as Angellar??? why is this surely its unnecessary drama. :roll:

Just call her Mr Angela Merkel instead, because that's what Our Nige' will be doing when he becomes PM after the next election :)

Either that, or call her Sir :nod:

Surely the BBC- what with it being British- ought to use British (English) pronunciation?

We don't speak of 'La France'/'Paree', 'Deutschland', 'Espana' [add tilde], 'Rossiya', or 'Erets Yisroel', do we?

I think place names are slightly different to people's names. If you visited Germany, would you be happy for them to use some Germanicised version of your name or would you prefer them to at least try to pronounce your name as you do?

Pronouncing someone's name correctly is just good manners; presumably you're lacking and somewhat uncouth.

But does 'correct' mean:

a. in one's own language; or

b. in that person's? For instance, how adept are you at the four tones utilised in Chinese languages; the click languages of Africa; the two 'ch' sounds of Hebrew and its 'Alef'/'Ayin' so-called silent letters; the Spanish 'rr' sound; etc?

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

But does 'correct' mean:

a. in one's own language; or

b. in that person's? For instance, how adept are you at the four tones utilised in Chinese languages; the click languages of Africa; the two 'ch' sounds of Hebrew and its 'Alef'/'Ayin' so-called silent letters; the Spanish 'rr' sound; etc?

It means b, obviously.

My name is Jimmy, with a hard J sound. If someone say for example pronouced the J with a Spanishy sort of h/y sound then it wouldn't be my name anymore.

Similarly, Thierry Henry is not Terry Hen-ree.

Just because my french accent is terrible doesn't mean I shouldn't make an effort.

---------- Post added 20-04-2015 at 13:19 ----------

Surely the BBC- what with it being British- ought to use British (English) pronunciation?

We don't speak of 'La France'/'Paree', 'Deutschland', 'Espana' [add tilde], 'Rossiya', or 'Erets Yisroel', do we?

Ever since I was a child this has always seemed stupid to me.

Why the hell don't we speak of Deutchland and Espana it would make so much more sense?

Edited by flamingjimmy

I think place names are slightly different to people's names. If you visited Germany, would you be happy for them to use some Germanicised version of your name or would you prefer them to at least try to pronounce your name as you do?

As part of my job I have to speak in lots of different languages and no matter whether I'm talking to a German, French, Italian, Asian etc etc they all pronounce my name Meeechelle.... :hihi:

Oh, and Michael.. I get called Michael A LOT!

As part of my job I have to speak in lots of different languages and no matter whether I'm talking to a German, French, Italian, Asian etc etc they all pronounce my name Meeechelle...

You could possibly blame Lennon/McCartney for that, Michelle, ma belle.