Kickboxing - fights

I would think, regardless of what martial art you participate in, that this decision would be pretty much made by your instructor, after all they would have a better idea of what is needed in a competitor just to be able to fight (stamina, skill, technique, ability, mind state not to mention b4lls)and they would also have a better view of YOU as a possible competitor (what you needed to work on, what your strengths and also weaknesses were).

I couldn't possibly say what length of time it would take from starting to train to actually having a fight but I know from personal experience that I was casually training for 6 years before I was asked if I wanted to fight, although I know people that have only trained for 2 years before fighting.

My advice would be to speak to your instructor about you aspirations and see what feedback you get.

Don't rush your training, most fighters will tell you that once you take that step the way you train will change and maybe your enjoyment of that training may change too.

yeah, I will ask him...think he knows I really wanna compete....will have to see if he puts me forward for the next competition I suppose. I really love my training and usually train 3 times a week and also go boxing once a week.

Just out of curiosity clo-bo, how long have you been training?

Do you participate in sparring at all, if so if this open sparring or are there liimitations on how you spar.

Reason I ask is because fighting is not like sparring.

At Wicker Camp sparring (at least when fighters spar) is pretty heavy and is completely open, this means guys hitting you at about 80% strength, punching and kicking to the head and people really going hell for leather, the only thing we hold back on is the elbows as obviously you can't go hitting each other in the face with an elbow - it's just not cricket ;-)

If your wanting to fight I would recommend that you try and get your sparring as close to the level of contact you would experience in a fight otherwise it can be a very rude awakening.

Not long, only about 5 months....I thought I would have to wait well over a year to fight but a friend of mine who competes had her first fight after 2 months and says I should get into it as soon as I feel ready really. I thought it was pretty quick too thats why I thought I'd ask others!!!

I do spar at training and love it. Most of the time I am the only girl in there so I spar with the men.

I am not considering fighting now but there is a comp in June (I think it is) which I would like to have a go at...not scared of getting a beating! : ) but obviously if my trainer said not to I wouldn't.

I know this might sound a bit strange but, are you a pretty girl clo-bo? Reason I ask is that there is a good chance you will get hit in the face and this can alter your looks slightly, I mean women are no more prone to it than men it's just that I've found men not to care about this as much.

I just figure it's a nose job care of the NHS if it goes wrong! Don't get me wrong, dont wanna messed up face but really wanna fight! ha ha ha

is it just people in your weight class you fight?

You'd think that wouldn't you and yes they'd sort it out to a degree but it's still worth thinking about. I've broken my nose twice (I'm still waiting for it to heal from the second time) and having you nose snapped back into place isn't something I'll ever get used to, ieven though it's better than it was it's still apparent it's been broken and I can't breath correctly through it.

I'm not too familiar with the varying ways in which kick boxing fights can be held (rules, style's etc) and Muay Thai bouts tend to be a tad more brutal so maybe my comparison or advice is a little heavy handed but fore warned and all that...

Yeah in Muay Thai fights are arranged at a certain weight, fighters then meet this weight and the fight takes place, otherwise someone would have an unfair advantage.

When it comes to sparring though it's pretty much who ever you get partnered with.

At our gym you could be sparring with the world champion 1 round (weighing in at about 25kgs more than me) and a first time begineer the next, but it all builds on your own skils.

Archived