Kickboxing - fights

I have noticed a bit of arguing about who's club is best.......cant be bothered with all that, v childish!!! *waits for backlash from that comment*

I haven't seen Daz fight yet, the guy he was fighting at S10 didn't turn up I dont think last time.

GULP!!!

Daz, oh dear that was my fault. Some mix up with the matching up. The younger Daz was matched up against David Slater from Newcastle.

David slater won that match and will be fighting Scott Sykes from Self Defense UK (trained by the illustrious Paul Powers) on cagewarriors this weekend under 3 rounds of 3 minutes of kickboxing in the cage.

Will you be there?

Come and say hello at the judges table. I will be there with one of the other AFK instructors.

I cant be bothered with "my dad is bigger than your dad" either :)

Life is too short for all that.

Jealousy and Envy , both bad things.

Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering.

that was your fault? eek! oh well, no harm done!

I know Scott...is he fighting in Sheffield this weekend then? missed his last one as I was away. would like to watch him though!

I have been to see Paul Powers, good lil place he has got....just costs a bit!

...very deep!

Scott Sykes , Lovely young lad isnt he? Wayne apparently knows him from school days. He is fighting Saturday night at the Octagon if you are there? If so please introduce yourself.

Paul Powers has extended his kind invitation to myself to see his place which I will do when i have a spare moment.

As for yourself, just like Simon and Daz are more than welcome to pay us a visit at either one of our clubs either at Wellington street or at Hallam University.

At the moment the ladies Featherweight Interuniversity Champion(fights for cambridge university) is training with us as she is home for the holidays so you will have someone to spar with if you ever choose to pop in.

yeah he is, I know him as his brother was in my year at school. still cant imagine little scott fighting though! ha ha ha

where's wellington street and what nights do you train there? may have to pop in one day then.

All I dont get is when I fight is there a chance I would be fighting people bigger or will they definitely be my weight?

Not entirely sure how the weight matching is managed in Kick Boxing (Freddy Lee or Farhad???) but I wouldn't think a bout would be allowed with more than a few kg's difference as this may prove a disadvantage to the lighter fighter.

As for same size, well just because someone is the same weight doesn't mean they will be the same size - muscle, fat and height will dictate this I suppose.

Ahh well I guess I'd have to let someone that knows how kick boxing fights are arranged answer that, like Sunny, Freddy or Farhad.

Muay Thai fights are set at a exact weight and both fighters have to make that weight, which means training to lose weight or in most cases deiting to make sure your not too heavy, the fight weight is decided before hand so that both fighters have time to prepare.

Hi Clobo and Stu

Yes the bouts are matched up on weight.

There are some promoters who do open tournaments and sometimes the weight divisions are very very suspect.

Example of the different kind of tournaments.

The WAKO Amateurs for Full contact

Dont forget that the WAKO's for full contact are a decent level even though some divisions (like -51 or 54) will have like 2 or 3 in a division while the 67/71/75 divisions have loads of competitors.

MENS:-51/54/57/60/63.5/67/71/75/81/86/91/91+ (same as the old amateur boxing weight divisions)

WOMENS : -51/54/60/67/67+ (I cant remember but it is something like that)

AFK Promotions (same as the ones used by the university tournaments)

MENS : -64/71/79/86/86+

LADIES : -57/63/63+

Other open tournaments:

MENS : -65/75/85/85+

LADIES: OPENWEIGHT ( yes stupid i know)

Now prearranged bouts are always matched give or take a few kilos.

" Only a complete fool breaks the 3kg rule" Really though a bout is not a fair match unless there is only a give or take of say 2kg.

If its a 4kg difference then I call that either bad management or a stitch up on the promoters part.

Yeah, think that a weight difference of 4kg would give somebody a decent advantage, especially if the weigh in for the fight is on the day of the fight, I know people that can put on 3 or 4 kgs between the weigh in and the fight.

Archived