Primary school places : a solution

That approach is arguably going to result in the creation of some 'sink schools', but given the current OFSTED regime, they wouldn't (presumably) be like that for long. And I do think the advantages of children attending local primaries outweigh the disadvantages. I went to a very socially mixed primary in Pontefract, but it was comprehensive in its intake - any child living locally could attend - and children were not subjected to the stress and pressure of their parents fighting for a place for them.

It's bad enough the way it all kicks off when secondary school places are being applied for - primary school children don't need the nonsense.

I'll be honest, I've no idea what a 'sink school' is!

All I know is that I appreciate the need to live in the area of the school that you wish your child to attend. As you say, it's the fairest way to decide school placements and if you're not happy with the school in your catchment area then move. You can't put a price on your child's education!

migrants fuel uk baby boom: One in four now born to foreign mums

a migrant baby boom is driving britain's population to grow faster than any other country in the eu.

that will include OUR NIGE' and his GERMANESE BORN WIFE then

HE IS ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR THE IMMIGRANT INVASION !!11!11!!11

Couldn't he find a nice Lancashire lass to settle down with ?!??!1???!11!!

Guest sibon
I'm relieved to hear it. My brother's experience in London (Acton/West Ealing) was enough to drive him out of the capital into the wilds of Wiltshire where his children went to the local village primary and did absolutely fine. He regrets the anxiety and stress of their pre-school years, when all anybody every talked about was which primary they had 'got' their kid 'into', its OFSTEd report, its Key Stage 2 results, how many hours homework the kids were set, how many of them went on to prestigious secondaries, blah, blah, blah.

How long ago was this? London schools have been transformed in the last ten years or so. The London Challenge was implemented by the last Labour Government by the way ;). You will be hard pressed to find a poor school in the capital these days. So, no need to fight any more.

How long ago was this? London schools have been transformed in the last ten years or so. The London Challenge was implemented by the last Labour Government by the way ;). You will be hard pressed to find a poor school in the capital these days. So, no need to fight any more.

Oh no, it wasn't that the local schools weren't awful at all, it's just that my brother naively assumed his child would be able to go to one of them! There were four schools within two miles of his house; one was a Catholic school, so being unwilling to undergo a miracle conversion, that left three, all of which were 'full' and had waiting lists. His daughter had to go to one seven miles away and there was no school transport to get her there. This was indeed about ten years ago, so I'm glad to hear it has changed.

If all schools were 'good' schools there wouldn't be this problem. It wouldn't matter who went where.

It seems to me the priority should be to bring all schools up to scratch. Pure and simple. Instead of looking everywhere else for the answer.

If all schools were 'good' schools there wouldn't be this problem. It wouldn't matter who went where.

It seems to me the priority should be to bring all schools up to scratch. Pure and simple. Instead of looking everywhere else for the answer.

Couldn't agree more, but until that is the case, we should stop pandering to parents' prejudices and just make them enrol their little dears in the nearest primary, full stop. If catchments are organised wherever possible to be socially diverse (I realise this is less likely in cities), so much the better.

Edited by aliceBB

It isn't possible for all schools to be good.

Why do you think that? 'Good' is an objective, measurable descriptor based on observable criteria.

Not all schools can be 'better' than the rest, or all children 'above average' (a point Michael Gove persistently failed to grasp!) but all schools they can in theory all be as good as the rest.

Edited by aliceBB

It's not a question of bringing all schools up to scratch per se, it's the children that go to them. If the brighest children are being creamed off to go to the local grammer school or the school with the best results many miles away, who have you got left to go to the local schools?