Should Laws Regarding Gun Ownership Be Tightened Up?

I've hunted rabbits and wild pigs. In the latter case that can be hazardous since they're bad tempered creatures and the hunter could very quickly become the hunted.

I've seen deer come out of the woods in the evenings while staying in Flagstaff, Arizona.

They must be the easiest targets in the world for any hunter. The creatures just stand there even when they see you a few hundred feet away.

I wouldn't have the heart to shoot one and even if I did and my grand kids found out they wouldn't speak to me for six months.

But if I was stranded in mid winter up in the High Sierras I'd kill Bambi and his mother and her mother too just to survive.

Round here you have to shoot the things to keep the population down. Lack of wolves to control their numbers - we seem to be forever culling deer to stop them overpopulating. They don't seem as indifferent as yours though - stalking up a deer can be a tricky task in the UK.

its not senseless slaughter, in a lot of cases its farmers that welcome shooters on their land to keep the population down of rabbits, pigeons that destroy crops etc and to get rid of vermin like foxes and rats.

the use or firearms is humane and quick, what would you suggest a pea shooter????:loopy:

Oooo - seems I've touched a nerve. :loopy: (Look I can make the funny little man appear too!)

There are alternative and more efficacious methods of 'vermin' control and if farmers had to depend on red necks with rifles to keep down their pests they'd soon be up to their wurzels in them.

Tell me - how many 'hits' result in the instantaneous death of an animal - 2 in 10? Maybe 3 in 10? And do the rednecks bother looking for and despatching injured quarry or do they just leave it to a long slow agonising death? And with a veiw to economics - what's the price of a cartridge these days?

Did you know that foxes catch a massive number of wood pigeon during their short and harried lives?

Apart from that I wouldn't really mind so much how the 'vermin' was caught as long as it was truly humane - if only the morons who hunted them didn't wear camo and black up etc and pretend they're big tough warriors in battle. (They know they do)!

If only they could hide their enjoyment of killing these pathetic creatures instead of thinking they're such fearless he-men out in the wilds fronting up deadly creatures.

Why not hunt each other - at least that would provide prey with brain enough to survive a little longer - although - maybe not.

I wager my dog could kill more rats or rabbits in an hour than a moron with a rifle could kill in a week. And guess what - she would kill each one in a second.

---------- Post added 02-05-2015 at 13:02 ----------

I've hunted rabbits and wild pigs. In the latter case that can be hazardous since they're bad tempered creatures and the hunter could very quickly become the hunted.

I've seen deer come out of the woods in the evenings while staying in Flagstaff, Arizona.

They must be the easiest targets in the world for any hunter. The creatures just stand there even when they see you a few hundred feet away.

I wouldn't have the heart to shoot one and even if I did and my grand kids found out they wouldn't speak to me for six months.

But if I was stranded in mid winter up in the High Sierras I'd kill Bambi and his mother and her mother too just to survive.

Did you not see Bear Grylls' women leap upon and kill a grown wild pig with their bare hands and a kitchen knife? Seems our women don't need guns.

If being bad tempered makes for being a viable target for the gun there's a few on here you could bump off right now. (Me included)!

---------- Post added 02-05-2015 at 13:06 ----------

Round here you have to shoot the things to keep the population down. Lack of wolves to control their numbers - we seem to be forever culling deer to stop them overpopulating. They don't seem as indifferent as yours though - stalking up a deer can be a tricky task in the UK.

What?? We've photographed deer close up in many places and they don't bat an eye.

Might be different in the Highlands of Scotland but most dear are so used to people they ignore them.

It must be that they sense that you are a big bad hunter eh?

So guns are good for society then ?

Yes and they should tell those naughty criminals who have em that this will apply to them too.

Wait, haven't you shot all the naughty criminals yet, Harleyman?

Seriously, what with all the guns in circulation, the naughty criminals should all be dead by now

Ay Caramba! The Simpsons episode I linked to earlier in this thread is available to view online / download here (70MB FLV video):

The Cartridge Family

Remember folks:

Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face.

Any criminal worth his or her salt could have at the very least, a semi-automatic weapon in their hands within 30 minutes. Gun laws are irrelevent at best, and bad at worst. They just put supply of firearms in criminal hands, meaning that criminals can have them, but law-abiders cannot. Eventually people will just choose to ignore the law and arm themselves for defence.

Any criminal worth his or her salt could have at the very least, a semi-automatic weapon in their hands within 30 minutes.

I disagree.

If criminals could get their hands on semi-autos that easily, they would have acquired them and distributed them to their foot soldiers already.

The gangster v gangster death count would be much, much higher and would have probably included several innocent bystanders cut down in drive-by shootings by now.

As you know, this hasn't happened yet in the UK.

Oooo - seems I've touched a nerve. :loopy: (Look I can make the funny little man appear too!)

There are alternative and more efficacious methods of 'vermin' control and if farmers had to depend on red necks with rifles to keep down their pests they'd soon be up to their wurzels in them.

Tell me - how many 'hits' result in the instantaneous death of an animal - 2 in 10? Maybe 3 in 10? And do the rednecks bother looking for and despatching injured quarry or do they just leave it to a long slow agonising death? And with a veiw to economics - what's the price of a cartridge these days?

Did you know that foxes catch a massive number of wood pigeon during their short and harried lives?

Apart from that I wouldn't really mind so much how the 'vermin' was caught as long as it was truly humane - if only the morons who hunted them didn't wear camo and black up etc and pretend they're big tough warriors in battle. (They know they do)!

If only they could hide their enjoyment of killing these pathetic creatures instead of thinking they're such fearless he-men out in the wilds fronting up deadly creatures.

Why not hunt each other - at least that would provide prey with brain enough to survive a little longer - although - maybe not.

I wager my dog could kill more rats or rabbits in an hour than a moron with a rifle could kill in a week. And guess what - she would kill each one in a second.

---------- Post added 02-05-2015 at 13:02 ----------

Did you not see Bear Grylls' women leap upon and kill a grown wild pig with their bare hands and a kitchen knife? Seems our women don't need guns.

If being bad tempered makes for being a viable target for the gun there's a few on here you could bump off right now. (Me included)!

---------- Post added 02-05-2015 at 13:06 ----------

What?? We've photographed deer close up in many places and they don't bat an eye.

Might be different in the Highlands of Scotland but most dear are so used to people they ignore them.

It must be that they sense that you are a big bad hunter eh?

I swatted a couple of flies off the dog's arse earller this morning. Once a killer, always a killer

I swatted a couple of flies off the dog's arse earller this morning. Once a killer, always a killer

Should've used a handgun then (like Homer does in the cartoon)

Any criminal worth his or her salt could have at the very least, a semi-automatic weapon in their hands within 30 minutes. Gun laws are irrelevent at best, and bad at worst. They just put supply of firearms in criminal hands, meaning that criminals can have them, but law-abiders cannot. Eventually people will just choose to ignore the law and arm themselves for defence.

CORRECT anyone who really wants to get hold of a gun will do legal or illegal and in some cases as has been seen on news docs some even make their own crude guns, legal gun owners are not the problem.

Any criminal worth his or her salt could have at the very least, a semi-automatic weapon in their hands within 30 minutes. Gun laws are irrelevent at best, and bad at worst.

That must be why there's so much less gun crime in the USA than here.

CORRECT anyone who really wants to get hold of a gun will do legal or illegal and in some cases as has been seen on news docs some even make their own crude guns, legal gun owners are not the problem.

It's quite possible to manufacture a gun like weapon from a 3-D type copier machine.

Better start banning all 3-D type copiers ! :D

---------- Post added 02-05-2015 at 17:45 ----------

Should've used a handgun then (like Homer does in the cartoon)

I generally keep the .50 caliber for squirrels and field mice

Edited by Harleyman