Why are many UK doctors from poor countries?

Statistics, produced by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC), show that the proportion of foreign born doctors is 26%.

The number of foreign-born residents in England and Wales has risen by nearly three million since 2001 to 7.5 million people, the 2011 census shows. That means about one in eight - 13% - of residents were born outside the UK.

India provide the highest number of professionally qualified clinical staff, doctors and consultants.

Statistics, produced by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC), show that 11% of all staff for whom data was available and who work for the NHS and in community health services are not British.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/26/nhs-foreign-nationals-immigration-health-service

money and a better life

I was thinking why does the NHS want foreign born doctors, but maybe they are just better doctors?

I would have thought that they would need to be, in order to overcome prejudice and practical problems.

I was thinking why does the NHS want foreign born doctors, but maybe they are just better doctors?

I would have thought that they would need to be, in order to overcome prejudice and practical problems.

I wouldn't go so far to assume that every foreign-born doctor was raised in a mud hut without running water!

I expect the doctors would be from their countries middle class, so yes, better quality of life, more money and a better future for their children in the UK

Edited by The Joker

The UK medical program is fully subscribed, and graduate doctors don't end up out of work.

It's just excess demand that means doctors have to be recruited from abroad, after all the UK locals are employed.

---------- Post added 19-04-2015 at 09:16 ----------

At £9000 a year over four years, nobody in the UK can afford to study medicine?

Medical degree programmes are always over subscribed, so definitely not this.

It is a sign of how our graduate training and planning has gone wrong.

In areas where there is skill shortage in this country and these are skills which will always be needed we should increase the number of courses and subsidise them.

The present situation has gone on for years and so governments have had time to change things.

Does anyone know if the UK puts the commensurate amount of money to the poor countries where the doctors were trained? It's possibly a controversial view, but I think that the UK (or any other wealthy country) should reimburse those countries for the cost of training medics....

Statistics, produced by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC), show that the proportion of foreign born doctors is 26%.

The number of foreign-born residents in England and Wales has risen by nearly three million since 2001 to 7.5 million people, the 2011 census shows. That means about one in eight - 13% - of residents were born outside the UK.

India provide the highest number of professionally qualified clinical staff, doctors and consultants.

Statistics, produced by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC), show that 11% of all staff for whom data was available and who work for the NHS and in community health services are not British.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/26/nhs-foreign-nationals-immigration-health-service

Because the last government didn't put plans in place to enable us to cope with the rapid population expansion caused by immigration and the increased fertility rates caused by generous benefits.