Where to live in chesterfield?

I moved from Sheffield (Meersbrook) to Chesterfield (Tapton - postcode S41 0TF if it helps). I love where I am. Its close enough to all the shops, train and bus routes. Tapton park isnt far, and although the main road is a little busy, its far better than meersbrook/woodseats. We also fall under the catchment of Christchurch primary school (rated Good by Ofsted).

This will help you with school catchment areas (the website is AWFUL to nagivate, but I dont know of an alternative, so you'll need to persevere with it):

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/education/schools/school_places/normal_area_school_search/default.asp

Newbold (north west of city centre) has some lovely areas, but I notice that the schools are mostly 'requires improvement' or 'unsatisfactory' at present.

Ashgate and Brampton (west of city centre) seem to have the better schools (Brockwell Primary has caught my eye as its rated Outstanding, as is Brookfield school (secondary). However there is a premium to be paid on houses in these areas. These schools are so popular you would be unlikely to get into them unless you are within catchment (Brockwell nursery wont even take kids unless they are likely to progress to the primary school!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We live in Staveley and love it here. (From Sheffield originally)

It depends on your personal circumstances regarding transport though bus links are good to both Chesterfield Town Centre and Sheffield, not to mention, Worksop, etc too. If you have a car its ideal, 10 mins into town, or 10 mins to Crystal Peaks.

We are surrounded by lots of lovely countryside, and Poolsbrook Country Park, we have good local shops and market, and a swimming pool.

And the schools are great, our two go to the local primary which has a brilliant "village" feel to it where everyone knows everyone else so the kids have lots of friends.

Hi,

We live in Staveley and love it here. (From Sheffield originally)

It depends on your personal circumstances regarding transport though bus links are good to both Chesterfield Town Centre and Sheffield, not to mention, Worksop, etc too. If you have a car its ideal, 10 mins into town, or 10 mins to Crystal Peaks.

We are surrounded by lots of lovely countryside, and Poolsbrook Country Park, we have good local shops and market, and a swimming pool.

And the schools are great, our two go to the local primary which has a brilliant "village" feel to it where everyone knows everyone else so the kids have lots of friends.

I used to work in Staveley and it has it's good and bad like any area but at the time Staveley Morrisons was the only branch of Morrisons to use ultra violet lights in the toilets to stop heroin addicts finding veins. That kinda put me off ever living there.

My brother lives near Linacre Woods, and that's lovely. It's a fairly new estate but close to parks and open countryside, schools are good and local facilities seem to be close to hand. His family loves it there, they've settled really well.

It's beautiful. That area is called Cutthorpe. Housing is limited around there, but the other areas I mentioned, "Upper newbold" and "Ashgate" are bordering on to Linacre. In fact, I was walking around Linacre only yesterday, enjoying the lovely weather minus all the usual Bank Holiday crowds.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 00:43 ----------

I moved from Sheffield (Meersbrook) to Chesterfield (Tapton - postcode S41 0TF if it helps). I love where I am. Its close enough to all the shops, train and bus routes. Tapton park isnt far, and although the main road is a little busy, its far better than meersbrook/woodseats. We also fall under the catchment of Christchurch primary school (rated Good by Ofsted).

This will help you with school catchment areas (the website is AWFUL to nagivate, but I dont know of an alternative, so you'll need to persevere with it):

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/education/schools/school_places/normal_area_school_search/default.asp

Newbold (north west of city centre) has some lovely areas, but I notice that the schools are mostly 'requires improvement' or 'unsatisfactory' at present.

Ashgate and Brampton (west of city centre) seem to have the better schools (Brockwell Primary has caught my eye as its rated Outstanding, as is Brookfield school (secondary). However there is a premium to be paid on houses in these areas. These schools are so popular you would be unlikely to get into them unless you are within catchment (Brockwell nursery wont even take kids unless they are likely to progress to the primary school!)

Same as in Sheffield. West is best. Of course you pay a premium for housing in these areas. Because you are paying not just for a house, but for the privilege of your kids going to a better school and mixing with kids from better backgrounds and living next door to people with decent values. You have to decide whether it's worth having a more modest home perhaps, in a better area, in order to have such things. If they are important to you and your family then I'd suggest it is.

Edited by DerbyTup