Http://www.swapmyvote.uk/

It all works on trust - so the participants ultimately have no guarantee that their swap partner will do as they have promised, or any proof that they have done as agreed - unless I suppose they each take a photo of their ballot paper before they post it in the box...is that legal?

No photography is allowed in polling booths. We were told last year to stop people taking selfies of people voting, people can be prosecuted if they take pictures of ballot papers and post online, although the chances of anyone going down this route is probably slim.

No photography is allowed in polling booths. We were told last year to stop people taking selfies of people voting, people can be prosecuted if they take pictures of ballot papers and post online, although the chances of anyone going down this route is probably slim.

Though it'd be quite easy to ignore this 'rule' with a cheap pen cam and posting the evidence via email.

The law works the other way around. It's lawful unless the law says it isn't.

Are there not laws to prevent voter tampering and wouldn't this be covered by this law?

Look at it this way. What is to stop me from "saying" I will vote for X but instead vote for "Y"? By telling the other participant I am going to do as they want, but do the opposite I am tampering with the voting system.

Are there not laws to prevent voter tampering and wouldn't this be covered by this law?

Look at it this way. What is to stop me from "saying" I will vote for X but instead vote for "Y"? By telling the other participant I am going to do as they want, but do the opposite I am tampering with the voting system.

I'd think that vote tampering is quite specifically defined. Otherwise convincing people to vote for you on the basis that you will fund the NHS is vote tampering in the same way!

I'd think that vote tampering is quite specifically defined. Otherwise convincing people to vote for you on the basis that you will fund the NHS is vote tampering in the same way!

Swapping your vote is different though. Convincing someone to vote for you is how it works, but you don't vote for them on the proviso they vote for you back or likewise.

From the website-

http://www.swapmyvote.uk/faq#legal

Is this legal?

Vote swapping has taken place informally since voting began, not least within parliaments. We know of no law against it (unlike selling your vote, or compelling someone to vote against their will, which are very much illegal!), and indeed in The USA vote swapping was found by the Supreme Court to be protected speech under the First Amendment. Swap my Vote merely introduces two individuals to each other who have the relevant voting preferences; nothing changes hands and the secret ballot still stands: you are responsible for trusting your partner - and voting according to your conscience!

Swapping your vote is different though. Convincing someone to vote for you is how it works, but you don't vote for them on the proviso they vote for you back or likewise.

You vote for them on the proviso of some other future behaviour... I can't see how an private agreement to vote a certain way between two members of the public could possibly be illegal.

You vote for them on the proviso of some other future behaviour... I can't see how an private agreement to vote a certain way between two members of the public could possibly be illegal.

For it to be illegal it would have to involve treating, bribery, or undue influence.

Now it's illegal to sell your vote, but this isn't a sale as such, it's s promise that relies on the parties honour. Legal yes. Distasteful? I guess that's up to your personal morals.

Distasteful? I guess that's up to your personal morals.

Distasteful? Of all that happens routinely in politics, it's amazing that you pick up on that as being distastefull :)

Putting aside the lies, manipulation and, frequently, outright crookedness of politicians, there's also the fact that every leaflet they churn out near election times often refers to the fact that, 'in this area, x cannot win, and, a vote for x only makes it more likely that y will get in....'.

It seems to me that this scheme is simply a way to bypass that 'distasteful (but accepted' tactic.

---------- Post added 20-04-2015 at 18:29 ----------

Obelix said it better above, although I would say it was vote buying/treating.

You're sorted then, aren't you. Vote buying is ilegal, so, all you have to do is contact the authorities, explain to them that this website is organising vote buying, and, it'll be closed down at the earliest convenience of the law.

Good luck :)

Edited by onewheeldave