Vintedge shop now converted to a Charity shop

Hello all,

This is Emmaus Sheffield and we felt it was time for us to have a say on this post. It would take forever for us to respond to every point here but there are some we feel we need to address.

Firstly we would like to apologise to Vintedge who seem to have come under some attacks for doing a good thing. We would never be able to reach the customer base that they have without their kind offer of support and friendship.

It is true that both parties benefit from this working partnership, is this not true of any positive relationship, business or personal? And yes believe it or not charities are businesses too.

As a charity it is legal for us to sell goods wherever, whenever we like as long as we are not breaking and criminal or civil laws, the charity commission does not concern itself as to the retail commercial outlets that a charity uses, A charity shop is a commercial venture as with all retail outlets. On our board of trustees we have an ex chief inspector and a solicitor to advise us of our legal position at all times.

We do sincerely appreciate everyone that has shown concern for us, but please don't worry we never enter into any business relationships without careful consideration, this one is no exception. We are fully supportive of Vintedge and as said before cant thank them enough for all they have done for us please give them a break they are great guys with big hearts.

I was under the impression that charity shops did not pay full business rates and therefore were not truly commercial enterprises, so thanks for clearing that up.

Looking back at all the posts, it does seem to me that some of them are a thinly disguised attempt to drum-up trade for a business that looks to be in the Doldrums every time I pass it, but if it's for a good cause then hey ho.!

• 1 month later...
The last time I went in there (a few months ago) it was totally disorganised and full of the most awful tat - I've seen much better in a skip ! It also seemed to be staffed by weird and unfriendly people.

I cannot agree with the ethics or legality of mixing charity goods with goods sold for private gain - I wonder what the Charity Commissioners will make of it. Goods for charitable purposes should be sold in a charity shop. Sounds like sharp practice to me.

Looking at the posts it seems to me like back-door advertising.

I think you are being very unfair.

To call anyone 'weird' is offensive.

The apparent disorganisation adds to the charm of the true vintage shop.

It's not like Coles or Debenhams you know !:roll:

I think you are being very unfair.

To call anyone 'weird' is offensive.

The apparent disorganisation adds to the charm of the true vintage shop.

It's not like Coles or Debenhams you know !:roll:

I should hope not, given they haven't existed for years.