Are EU regulators wasting our time?

I'm talking about the EU regulations, which require websites to get permission to store cookies on your computer. This EU 'solution', has in my opinion, made matters a lot worse...

Practically every new site I visit, has a popup, which I have to click confirming I'm okay to have them store cookies on my computer. It's wasting my time! An unwanted distraction. My answer is always yes.

Why don't they just have something where you can tick one, yes, all sites can store cookies on my computer, no need to keep pestering me about it.

Should there be any consequences for them, when regulators make things worse (presumably, in an effort to justify their own existence, by making more unnecessary regulations)?

I'm talking about the EU regulations, which require websites to get permission to store cookies on your computer. This EU 'solution', has in my opinion, made matters a lot worse...

Practically every new site I visit, has a popup, which I have to click confirming I'm okay to have them store cookies on my computer. It's wasting my time! An unwanted distraction. My answer is always yes.

You're complaining about the wrong thing. The only reason the rules were introduced was because websites were written to track people as much as possible with no way to opt in or out. If web sites were written to track people minimally, i.e. using session cookies which expire at the end of each visit rather and only use permanent cookies for storing things people have explicitly opted in to (e.g. storing someone's language preference) there would be no need for these rules.

Why don't they just have something where you can tick one, yes, all sites can store cookies on my computer, no need to keep pestering me about it.

Most browsers support the Do Not Track header which is supposed to provide that facility but websites ignore it - another reason why the rules were introduced.

Blame web sites for introducing the problem, not the EU for trying to solve it.

Trouble is that you can do that yourself by setting the cookies so that you drop all cookes at the end of your session.

But the EU stick their noses in, so instead we have to - we MUST put up with the box floating all over the screen, or we have to accept a tracking cookie.

So we know we have a tracking cookie - like we did before.

We have to have it - or we have to click a box each time

Only difference is that the U have officially sanctioned it.

Me? I've a little python script that rewrites all the cookies evey few seconds to screw up tracking logs. Petty revenge perhaps...