Fifty plus size offended or not??

I watched this programme last night and found it really interesting. I've lost just over 4 stone myself so I know what it feels like to be on the bigger size (I was 16/18 at my biggest), and I can honestly say it's uncomfortable, you feel people are talking about you and commenting on you and that's why I find it difficult to believe those girls are genuinely happy with their bodies. I believe they instead have convinced themselves of this as it really is a mountain to climb when losing large amounts of weight and can become really disheartening at times.

Let's face it, it's far easier to sit down and eat all night than do exercise, but the biggest problem here isn't how the girls look it's their health because it's fact that obesity brings with it lots of health problems and those girls will eventually really suffer, and I feel it's not fair to drain the NHS purely because an individual is greedy/lazy! If other issues have caused the obesity then that's when the NHS should help.

Your right,its about promoting clothes for fat or obese people.

You would be very naive to think it was purely a crusade against the skinny loving media.

You're still wrong, it's about countering the harmful ultra skinny body image that the media has been pushing for the past 40 years.

You'd be looking to have a go at fat people if you thought it was anything to do with being fat, rather than being larger than a size zero.

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 07:11 ----------

Some of the people posting on this thread (not quite all) need to read about the fashion industry, about body dismorphia and the unrealistic skinny model ideal and about body shaming.

By all means, lets make obese people taboo, let's shun them for the grotesques they are and hide them in deep pits under the city.

Or let's treat them like everybody else.

If only that we're possible. . . I find it very frustrating when I'm walking through a shop and there's an overweight person wobbling about in front of me, taking up most of the aisle and I have to squeeze past them.

I know that nobody wants to be that big, but please, think of us normal folk for once!

By all means, lets make obese people taboo, let's shun them for the grotesques they are and hide them in deep pits under the city.

I'd say it's more about education than shaming people. In the same way we now know the severe consequences of smoking and heavy drinking, over eating is the same and can have terrible effects on our health.

At the end of the day it's every individuals choice how they live and the way they treat their body, however if better educated then surely we will make better choices and live a healthier and in direct effect a happier life.

Too right.

First the NHS withheld treatment for smokers,

And I did not protest, as I was not a smoker,

Then the NHS withheld treatment for the obese,

And I did not protest, as I was not obese,

Then the NHS withheld treatment for the elderly,

And I did not protest, as I was not elderly,

Then the NHS withheld treatment for the poor,

And I did not protest, as I was not poor,

Then the NHS withheld treatment for me,

And I did not protest because I was too ill to....

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 09:09 ----------

If only that we're possible. . . I find it very frustrating when I'm walking through a shop and there's an overweight person wobbling about in front of me, taking up most of the aisle and I have to squeeze past them.

I know that nobody wants to be that big, but please, think of us normal folk for once!

Wow! The Forum's version of Katie Hopkins.

There's a huge gap between the standard size zero model and an obese person.

A gap that 'plus size' models fill, and which a lot of the population fits into (almost certainly including you, and definitely including me).

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 10:50 ----------

I'd say it's more about education than shaming people. In the same way we now know the severe consequences of smoking and heavy drinking, over eating is the same and can have terrible effects on our health.

At the end of the day it's every individuals choice how they live and the way they treat their body, however if better educated then surely we will make better choices and live a healthier and in direct effect a happier life.

Have a read of these;

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/news/body-shaming/

http://www.waldenbehavioralcare.com/body-shaming-what-is-it-why-do-we-do-it/

And to be clear, in the UK at least, + size means size 12+

Size 12 is not someone who is obese.

(For example http://www.12plusuk.com/about-us/)

I suspect obesity is a far more complicated issue than stated above. We are, at root hunter gatherers, we naturally graze, our ancestors did not have three set meals a day, they got it when they could.

I believe that many people and programmed to eat when they get the opportunity, this is not gluttony, this is a predisposition to eat when possible.

We were healthy under rationing during and after the second world war, obesity was relatively unknown during that time.

Now we have pizza parlours, fast food drive through s and the like all selling high calorie, high salt/sugar foods and beverages.

Equally we have easy access gyms, parks and open spaces, coast to coast footpaths and cycle tracks, there is no shortage of places for people to exercise.

There is more to this issue than gluttony, the modern world is populated by people with caveman genes, I have no idea what the solution is, but its not belittling and vilifying people.