Fifty plus size offended or not??

We've had pizza shops and easy access to food for the last 50 years, yet obesity has massively increased in the last 15 to 20... Something changed.

People not bothering to cook properly and just using cheap convenience foods? Reduction in manual work? More reliance on cars etc? Kids playing with electronic toys instead of going out and playing? Could be lots of reasons..

For my twopenneth:

At my heaviest I was almost 21 stone. The main reason for me trying to lose weight was because my ex and I were trying for kids and the thought of not being able to run round the field with them, or dying too early, was enough to spur me on to become fitter and healthier. So I did, and I'm now around 13 stone, just hoping to blast the last bit of belly flab...

The problem we have nowadays is that BBW's (as it seems to mainly be females that are in the spotlight over weight) are coming out and saying that they are 'proud' to be 'big', and that it is something to be championed. It is true that weight, for 'normal' people won't affect health, but being too thin (anorexia) or too overweight (morbid obesity) has been proven to have a detrimental effect.

We all know the BMI scale is a very loose in it's interpretation of healthy/unhealthy as most rugby players will be overweight according to that as it only takes in to consideration height and weight. Yet, a rugby player's body is more or less a perfect machine when it comes to fitness. The models on that TV program will be classed as obese... but that's because they are. They're not promoting health, they're promoting a body image that could be as dangerous as the media promoting super-skinny.

I've been on the side of 'fat', and I'm now, more or less, 'normal' and I can say that I'm so glad I lost the weight for my health. I'm not saying you can't be attractive and be big/overweight, it is merely down to health. In this day when the NHS is struggling, a big part being down to lifestyle choices, is being 'big and beautiful' something that we should be promoting?

People not bothering to cook properly and just using cheap convenience foods? Reduction in manual work? More reliance on cars etc? Kids playing with electronic toys instead of going out and playing? Could be lots of reasons..

You have a point. My wife was a size 18 but walked quite a distance to the bus stop to and from work. Bought a car and within the year ballooned to size 22!

Take her to the gym with me now and got her down to 20.

I have two workers who do not drive and walk to my house every morning (about 1 mile) and they are so skinny.

Lots of reasons, availability of food probably not one of them though, which was my point.

There's a huge gap between the standard size zero model and an obese person.

A gap that 'plus size' models fill, and which a lot of the population fits into (almost certainly including you, and definitely including me).

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 10:50 ----------

Have a read of these;

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/news/body-shaming/

http://www.waldenbehavioralcare.com/body-shaming-what-is-it-why-do-we-do-it/

And to be clear, in the UK at least, + size means size 12+

Size 12 is not someone who is obese.

(For example http://www.12plusuk.com/about-us/)

OMG! I'm a size 12 and if someone called me plus size I think I would be most definitely offended! I work bloody hard to keep myself fit and healthy. I'll never be a size 10 but then my body isn't built that way.

I have a friend who plays squash for south Yorkshire, she is so fit and not an ounce of fat on her body. She wears size 16 clothes! That's just the way her body is built.

No wonder young girls are so obsessed with their body image. It's about how skinny you can be and if you don't wear a size 0 you're fat!!

When I'm the right weight for my height, such as the last time when someone paid me to wear a bikini and lie on a sports car, I wear a size 20 top. That's the size of my shoulders and I have about as much chance of reducing that as I do of being able to reduce my shoe or glove size.

I'm not 'standard' female size, as anybody who has met me would be able to testify. I wear men's size large gloves (a size 9) because ladies' extra large gloves are a size 7.5-8. My watch is a men's watch with the strap extended because the bones in my wrist measure just over 8" round (most ladies' bracelets are between 7 and 7.5 inches). If trousers are going to reach all the way down to my shoes then they need to be 35 or 36 inches in the inside leg.

My skeleton is the size that it is and I am not prepared to apologise for that. Yes, I'm overweight now, but there is no way that I can get down to an arbitrary size for a standard height woman because my skeleton is bigger than that.

The concept that everybody should fit in a size 12 clothes or smaller is as daft as the concept that every woman who has a waist size of more than 35 inches should receive compulsory help on how to reduce it (that has also been mooted recently). A woman who is 5'2" with a waist size of 35" is a completely different shape to a woman who is my height and with a waist of the same size. The 'one size fits all' nature of all of these discussions will only work if we are all actually the same size.

You're still wrong, it's about countering the harmful ultra skinny body image that the media has been pushing for the past 40 years.

You'd be looking to have a go at fat people if you thought it was anything to do with being fat, rather than being larger than a size zero.

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 07:11 ----------

Some of the people posting on this thread (not quite all) need to read about the fashion industry, about body dismorphia and the unrealistic skinny model ideal and about body shaming.

In your opinion.

And in my opinion,your wrong,and very naive for falling for blatant marketing claptrap.

But hey,that just my opinion.:D

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 16:02 ----------

We've had pizza shops and easy access to food for the last 50 years, yet obesity has massively increased in the last 15 to 20... Something changed.

You are also quite wrong in my opinion about this statement too.

There are fast food shops everywhere these days,I don't know the exact figures,but you don't have to go back 50 years to see a difference,theres visibly a lot more fast food outlets than there was even 20 years ago.

Edited by SqueakyPete

On a loosely connected issue.

Why is it that when a guy with a 36 waist buys a pair of trousers he buys a pair with a 36 waist ,,,and when a woman with a 36 waist buys a pair of trousers she buys a size 18 which also means she has a 44 bust and 46 hips?

How does that work?