Fifty plus size offended or not??

We've had pizza shops and easy access to food for the last 50 years, yet obesity has massively increased in the last 15 to 20... Something changed.

Notice how as smoking has decreased in that time while obesity has risen in the same period. Its well known that nicotine is an appetite suppressant and I believe some drug companies are now doing trials for its use in weight loss treatment.

I now propose that the increase in obesity has a direct relationship to stopping smoking. :)

Maybe e-cigs containing nicotine will turn out to be a good thing to use.

On a loosely connected issue.

Why is it that when a guy with a 36 waist buys a pair of trousers he buys a pair with a 36 waist ,,,and when a woman with a 36 waist buys a pair of trousers she buys a size 18 which also means she has a 44 bust and 46 hips?

How does that work?

And anyway what's advertised as a 36" measurement isn't; manufacturers collude to flatter the fatter figure.

And anyway what's advertised as a 36" measurement isn't; manufacturers collude to flatter the fatter figure.

I noticed this more lately,and there I was thinking "ooo,look at me,I dropped a jean size".

Tape measure says otherwise though lol

I bet they don't do this with women's bra sizes :suspect:,in fact,I bet its quite the opposite:hihi:

Notice how as smoking has decreased in that time while obesity has risen in the same period. Its well known that nicotine is an appetite suppressant and I believe some drug companies are now doing trials for its use in weight loss treatment.

I now propose that the increase in obesity has a direct relationship to stopping smoking. :)

Maybe e-cigs containing nicotine will turn out to be a good thing to use.

Correlation, probably not causation IMO.

Plus size isn't about promoting being fat or obese, it's about countering the media driven image of almost impossibly thin women being "the norm", as it's harmful and causes body image problems for countless women.

The fashion industry also target young males. I were in a Levi shop and Tommy Hilfiger looking for some new jeans and couldn't help noticing how narrow the legs are on mens jeans. I commented (jokingly) to the female assistant that I wouldn't be able to get the

size 32s (my waist size) on because of the narrow legs. She told me that young men come into their shop all the time and buy female jeans because the mens jean legs aren't narrow enough for them!:huh: Why do young men want to have legs like Sparrows?

I suspect obesity is a far more complicated issue than stated above. We are, at root hunter gatherers, we naturally graze, our ancestors did not have three set meals a day, they got it when they could.

I believe that many people and programmed to eat when they get the opportunity, this is not gluttony, this is a predisposition to eat when possible.

We were healthy under rationing during and after the second world war, obesity was relatively unknown during that time.

Now we have pizza parlours, fast food drive through s and the like all selling high calorie, high salt/sugar foods and beverages.

Equally we have easy access gyms, parks and open spaces, coast to coast footpaths and cycle tracks, there is no shortage of places for people to exercise.

There is more to this issue than gluttony, the modern world is populated by people with caveman genes, I have no idea what the solution is, but its not belittling and vilifying people.

Absolutely on the money!

Lots of reasons, availability of food probably not one of them though, which was my point.

I think availability does come into it, that and affordability.

Did you see the series that just finished on BBC2 - Back in Time for Tea? Giles Coren looking at how families ate from the 50s through to now. Sure, there started to be more choice in the 70s, and convenience food became common in the 80s but it was only in the 90s that supermarkets really took over, the range of different foods available expanded massively and the relative cost of food plummeted.

If you tie that in with Alan Ladd's theory then an abundance of tasty, cheap grub, combined with a default programme to fill up whilst you can, then I can quite easily see why we are where we are.

Edited by Olive

We've had pizza shops and easy access to food for the last 50 years, yet obesity has massively increased in the last 15 to 20... Something changed.

They banned all the E numbers and preservatives and things in food that made people hyperactive?

It's one theory..

There's a huge gap between the standard size zero model and an obese person.

A gap that 'plus size' models fill, and which a lot of the population fits into (almost certainly including you, and definitely including me).

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 10:50 ----------

Have a read of these;

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/news/body-shaming/

http://www.waldenbehavioralcare.com/body-shaming-what-is-it-why-do-we-do-it/

And to be clear, in the UK at least, + size means size 12+

Size 12 is not someone who is obese.

(For example http://www.12plusuk.com/about-us/)

You're right, size 12 is classed as "outsize", yet it is still smaller than the average female size of 14/16.

The fashion industry also target young males. I were in a Levi shop and Tommy Hilfiger looking for some new jeans and couldn't help noticing how narrow the legs are on mens jeans. I commented (jokingly) to the female assistant that I wouldn't be able to get the

size 32s (my waist size) on because of the narrow legs. She told me that young men come into their shop all the time and buy female jeans because the mens jean legs aren't narrow enough for them!:huh: Why do young men want to have legs like Sparrows?

I have the same problem, I wear a 32 waist, but because I run and cycle I often can't sit down due to the thigh diameter, skinny jeans (and trousers) are ridiculous.