Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

It comes across like some of the cyclists on here are so bloody minded that it doesn't matter if a lot of newby cyclists get hurt through lack of cycling ability and road knowledge, as long as it's another bike on the road?

Does anyone reading this know of any cycling classes in Sheffield to publicise? i.e. put something useful on here instead of moaning.

In all of the cycling accident and death numbers, do they break them down into how long they've been cycling on the roads? Do they collect that information, and if not, is there a reason why not? It would be very useful data to have. I hate the thought of any cyclist getting hurt or worse on our roads, but it seems it's so entrenched now in a them v us situation, particularly on here...

Statistics here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/road-accidents-and-safety-statistics

Cyclist casualties aren't broken down into experience groups AFAIK. This data would be hard to collect; as no licence is needed so would be self reported. In terms of blame motorists are at fault well over 50% of the time. Given that, would imposing bureaucracy on cyclists really improve safety to a worthwhile extent?

I have cycled 30 years and driven for 15; one set of road skills improves the other. I lived in Switzerland for a year and had to register a bike there, cost about £3 in today's money. Small price to pay if it shuts people up moaning that I'm irresponsible.

Edited by hicksy3
markup error

The road I live on there are two youths about 17/18 yrs old ride on the pavement every evening ,up and down the pavement very fast ,I suppose this is ok then ,if god forbid someone walked out of there front onto the pavement

the injuries would be severe if not life threatening,but the way some people are talking they seam to say its ok for that to happen cyclists should have more common sense

The road I live on there are two youths about 17/18 yrs old ride on the pavement every evening ,up and down the pavement very fast ,I suppose this is ok then ,if god forbid someone walked out of there front onto the pavement

the injuries would be severe if not life threatening,but the way some people are talking they seam to say its ok for that to happen cyclists should have more common sense

Would getting in a car suddenly transform them into responsible road users? Be glad they're only on a pushbike.

It's very hard to take someone who spells as badly as you seriously.

Dinner time cycling back to work today. 3 teenage lads in a black ford fiesta came into a T junction too fast, failed to make the turn (full lock on, huge over-steer) ended up over on my side of the road. I had to swerve the bike into the kerb to avoid them. I have a number plate from my bar cam so is it worth reporting them to 101? They left the scene f'in and blindin at the cyclist as always.

Yes. But I'd make sure you get an incident number and follow it up, as the 'police' can be notoriously slack on following up such incidents (they seem to be considered low priority)

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 18:20 ----------

Not it's not OK. Personally I have no issue with cyclists on the pavements if they're not bombing around in a dangerous matter.

I'll cycle on the pavement if, in my judgement, it's safer than what's happening on the roads at the time. I do so responsibly and don't put pedestrians at risk, as I know what it's like to be walking on a pavement when some idiot on a bike zooms past just missing me.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 18:22 ----------

Would getting in a car suddenly transform them into responsible road users? Be glad they're only on a pushbike.

Good point.

It's very hard to take someone who spells as badly as you seriously.

Not hard for me, as I realise a persons spelling ability does not affect their ability to reason in the slightest.

Motorists kill about 3000 people a year, cyclists between 0 and 2.

So the risk isn't that great. But perhaps you can use 101 and get the police to have a word.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 18:35 ----------

Just to balance things up, I saw two cyclists run red lights (whilst I'd stopped) this morning.

Not as onewheeldave will claim for safety reasons. Stopping was entirely safe. They did it because they were impatient and didn't want to stop.

I'm an engineer, you're a technician.

I am a chartered engineer and for a long time made this argument but you may find this page on the engineering council website as to why they aren't going to give "engineer" legally protected status. It actually makes a lot of sense.

http://www.engc.org.uk/statusofengineers.aspx

Now then back to the tedious cycling thread.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 20:43 ----------

Does anyone reading this know of any cycling classes in Sheffield to publicise? i.e. put something useful on here instead of moaning.

Yes all sheffield residents can get this for FREE!!

http://www.pedalready.co.uk/

I did once do the instructor training myself but never quite followed it through to actually training anyone. Was an interesting course though.

Edited by TimmyR

Just to balance things up, I saw two cyclists run red lights (whilst I'd stopped) this morning.

Not as onewheeldave will claim for safety reasons. Stopping was entirely safe. They did it because they were impatient and didn't want to stop.

Onewheeldave will make no such claim- not having seen the specific incident I can not claim it was for safety reasons.

Onewheeldave will make no such claim- not having seen the specific incident I can not claim it was for safety reasons.

If its ok for cyclists to run red lights for "safety reasons" , it must be ok for motorists to run red lights for the same reason . ?

Obviously we cant have different rules for cyclists ,can we.

You tell me that this is the case whenever it comes up though.

---------- Post added 24-04-2015 at 07:11 ----------

If its ok for cyclists to run red lights for "safety reasons" , it must be ok for motorists to run red lights for the same reason . ?

Obviously we cant have different rules for cyclists ,can we.

We already do, cyclists aren't allowed on motorways, amongst other things.