Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

im more up for them having insurance! if the push bike causes the accident the drivers in left to blame and to pay for repairs:rant:

This is simply not true. Cyclists have the same obligations that motorists do to pay for damage caused, what they don't have is a requirement for compulsory insurance because they are highly unlikely to cause serious injury and thousands of pounds worth of damage.

---------- Post added 24-04-2015 at 16:48 ----------

The reason you're under the impression it's contrary to our other discussions is probably that, in those dicsussions, I was referring mainly to the safety reasons, and, as is typical in NTs, you assumed I was talking about cyclists going through reds in general.

Since the discussions in the past were specifically about going through red lights in general that would be your fault then.

It was a 'guess-timation'.

Could be lower, could be higher. There's so many other reasons why cyclists go through reds, and, I suspect they outnumber the safety reasons. Without some actual scientific studies, it's impossible to say for sure.

I'd agree, the majority from my observations appear to run them for laziness reasons. I've never seen one run for what appeared to be safety reasons.

---------- Post added 24-04-2015 at 16:49 ----------

I must have been really lucky yesterday then as I had to jump out of the way of a VERY wobbly cyclist riding on the pavement toward Meadowhall interchange texting on his phone. Mind, it didnt seem to prevent him giving me the rods and telling me where to go very impolitly when I objected!!

Unlikely to be bothering car drivers at least, but what an idiot.

Since the discussions in the past were specifically about going through red lights in general that would be your fault then.

No, as I was, in my part of the discussion, making it very clear I was referring to the example of going through a red to get clear of large packs of impatient motorists.

I'd agree, the majority from my observations appear to run them for laziness reasons. I've never seen one run for what appeared to be safety reasons.

I'm not surprised that you look at cyclists going through reds and conclude to yourself that they're all 'lazy'. I'm equally sure that, even if they had a chance to explain to you the real reasons they're going through reds, you'd dismiss them as liars or deluded, and continue to view them as 'lazy'.

It does seem a little inconsistent, as, ordinarily, cyclists aren't at all lazy- after all, they climb on a bike and physically power it with their own effort, in contrast, to, say, getting in a car and getting fat.

But, that portion of cyclists who go through reds sometimes, are suddenly 'lazy' :)

Are they 'lazy' when they don't go through reds?

If they're so lazy, how come they don't stop at the reds- surely that'd be a chance for them to have a bit of a rest?

No, as I was, in my part of the discussion, making it very clear I was referring to the example of going through a red to get clear of large packs of impatient motorists.

I'm not surprised that you look at cyclists going through reds and conclude to yourself that they're all 'lazy'. I'm equally sure that, even if they had a chance to explain to you the real reasons they're going through reds, you'd dismiss them as liars or deluded, and continue to view them as 'lazy'.

It does seem a little inconsistent, as, ordinarily, cyclists aren't at all lazy- after all, they climb on a bike and physically power it with their own effort, in contrast, to, say, getting in a car and getting fat.

But, that portion of cyclists who go through reds sometimes, are suddenly 'lazy' :)

Are they 'lazy' when they don't go through reds?

If they're so lazy, how come they don't stop at the reds- surely that'd be a chance for them to have a bit of a rest?

I think that the point being made is that the cyclists do not want to lose their momentum.

It is annoying if you've going well and you have to slow down and unclip at a set of lights, then get going and clip back in, but the rules are the rules.

Cars run red lights as well.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=car%20runs%20red%20light%20video%20uk

As a cyclist it annoys me that a) a minority of cyclists run red lights (often justifying themselves as onewheeldave does), b) some motorists then generalise this to all cyclists, and worse, they then endanger them deliberately.

I don't generalise, I think its a tough life for cyclists on the road. In my experience, car DO run red lights, but most of the time they do, it is either just as they change. Some cyclist completely ignore them, and then it draws attention to them.

Disgraceful actions of the cyclist involved. What has it got to do with other cyclists though?

I'm talking about other cyclists who see fit to cycle on the pavement, as many do (as you well know).

I've mentioned a couple of time on this forum, a cyclist on Crookes who saw fit to take the same attitude, narrowly missing myself, and to avoid hitting a woman pushing a pram in front of me (at about 20mph), swerved into a Pizza delivery bike instead. Having knocked it over, causing damage, he just got up off the floor and pedalled off ... no insurance details ... nothing. This is why cycling on pavements is dangerous, and why I'm pointing this out to onewheeldave, who, for some reason or another, seems to think that this (cycling on pavements) is safe.

I'm talking about other cyclists who see fit to cycle on the pavement, as many do (as you well know).

I've mentioned a couple of time on this forum, a cyclist on Crookes who saw fit to take the same attitude, narrowly missing myself, and to avoid hitting a woman pushing a pram in front of me (at about 20mph), swerved into a Pizza delivery bike instead. Having knocked it over, causing damage, he just got up off the floor and pedalled off ... no insurance details ... nothing. This is why cycling on pavements is dangerous, and why I'm pointing this out to onewheeldave, who, for some reason or another, seems to think that this (cycling on pavements) is safe.

So was the problem with the cyclists on the pavements, or the cyclists cycling on the pavements in a dangerous manner?

I see some cyclists' attitudes to cycling on the pavements as the same as motor vehicle drivers' attitudes to speeding. They'll do it they perceive it safe to do so, and a small minority will do it not matter what the consequences.

Personally I don't cycle on the pavements though, unless it's deemed to be a cycle path.

No, that cyclists mainly run lights for safety.

---------- Post added 24-04-2015 at 11:06 ----------

I'd agree with pretty much all of that. In my last 3 years of commuting nearly every day I've only had 3 or 4 instances where I've had words with a car driver, and one where I would have happily assaulted them for how close they came to killing me.

I would have liked to have a chat with the driver of a black corsa a few years ago but unfortunetly couldn't as driver never stopped,must have been because my handle bar disintegrated the near side wing mirror( which I still have as a trophy;)) the driver didn't see my signals for them.

Have you got issues with reading? If so, be upfront about it- it's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm totally open about being autistic, which, many consider to be a disability (I don't).

If you don't have reading issues, then clearly you're in the habit of glancing at peoples posts and making the mistake of churning out opinions when you've not actually read them.

As we can see from your post here-

which seems to be criticising a point of view I've not come remotely close to expressing- what I actually said was-

Not it's not OK. Personally I have no issue with cyclists on the pavements if they're not bombing around in a dangerous matter.

I'll cycle on the pavement if, in my judgement, it's safer than what's happening on the roads at the time. I do so responsibly and don't put pedestrians at risk, as I know what it's like to be walking on a pavement when some idiot on a bike zooms past just missing me.

As I'm autistic, I tend to write in a literal and accurate way. If, in future, you bear that in mind, and, of course, read what I actually write, then you may be able to avoid mistakes like the one you made above, and thus waste less of my time :)