Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Car users would be much more forgiving if those pesky cyclists actually paid road tax.

I'm a pesky cyclist and I pay 2 loads of vehicle tax.

---------- Post added 25-04-2015 at 22:09 ----------

Road tax shouldn't be the issue. A) the roads are in such a disgusting state they no longer warrant paying for and in any event, are not adequate for a road bike. B) there are plenty of services that only some people pay for. Not everyone pays council tax and income tax yet we don't prevent them using public services and we don't run them over either.

It can certainly be applied to cyclists who don't stop because stopping means using effort to get going again. It's a perfect example of laziness.

A perfect example of laziness :lol:

Personally, if I wanted to come up with a perfect example of laziness, I'd be wary of using a cyclist, due to the fact that they put so much physical effort in getting from A to B.

Science would seem to concur, as multiple studies and loads of evidence indicate that cycling is very, very good for health and fitness- hardly the outcome of laziness, is it?

Yet here you are presenting as not just 'lazy', but, a perfect example of laziness, when a cyclist continues to exercise, at a time when they could otherwise stop for a rest. Why? Because, if they'd stopped and rested, they would have to start pedalling again :)

Edited by onewheeldave

To be honest, the question should be why is there so much animosity in Sheffield? I agree that for some reason (jealousy?) cyclists get a hard time here when they really shouldn't. I think Sheffield people seem to be getting more and more bitter and angry in general. Whether it be the blatant racisim that seems to be almost acceptable in Sheffield now, or the general driving standards which are poor,selfish and dangerous. Poor cyclists in this city don't stand a chance...

I never expected a cycling thread would generate this amount of discussion, and do not have time to respond to all the points made so I'll let you guys fight it out.

But just to add UK cities like Sheffield are backwards in terms of planning, whilst my suburban London town is pretending to be bicycle friendly by capitalising on it. And cities like Copenhagen are centuries ahead >>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtX8qiC_rXE

From what I've read so far the quoted post above sums up the problem with Sheffield, and most probably many other parts of the country.

Edited by gwhite78

I am constantly and fully aware of cyclists and motorcyclists. I believe that as a motorist you have a responsibility to be aware of the two as you are predestrians. I have been a first aid and witness to a motorcycle incident and cyclist incident, both happened because britain as a country has not implemented the cyclist and motorist traffic as a whole properly. The roads and lanes cause confusion.

As a whole, such as amsterdam where cycling is promoted and made a right of way traffic works, our traffic system should be redesigned from a time where only cars occupied the roads, to split traffic to bare cyclists on your inner side is too dangerous.

Sheffield isnt an easiest target because of the hills, but obviously it is possible, and then cyclist should also have to gain a license and an insurance, nothing too financial but so that everyone on the road is insured.

A perfect example of laziness :lol:

Personally, if I wanted to come up with a perfect example of laziness, I'd be wary of using a cyclist, due to the fact that they put so much physical effort in getting from A to B.

Science would seem to concur, as multiple studies and loads of evidence indicate that cycling is very, very good for health and fitness- hardly the outcome of laziness, is it?

Yet here you are presenting as not just 'lazy', but, a perfect example of laziness, when a cyclist continues to exercise, at a time when they could otherwise stop for a rest. Why? Because, if they'd stopped and rested, they would have to start pedalling again :)

I get that they're using effort to travel. You can stop hammering that point, everyone has understood it.

Not stopping, because it takes more effort to get going again is still laziness though. An action can be lazy despite the person not generally being lazy.

I notice that you aren't trying to defend the red light running as a safety thing anymore though. Now you just want to attack the characterisation of laziness, instead of concentrating on what's important, which is the behaviour itself.

---------- Post added 26-04-2015 at 07:59 ----------

I never expected a cycling thread would generate this amount of discussion, and do not have time to respond to all the points made so I'll let you guys fight it out.

Perhaps you should have used the search function and looked...

---------- Post added 26-04-2015 at 08:00 ----------

I am constantly and fully aware of cyclists and motorcyclists. I believe that as a motorist you have a responsibility to be aware of the two as you are predestrians. I have been a first aid and witness to a motorcycle incident and cyclist incident, both happened because britain as a country has not implemented the cyclist and motorist traffic as a whole properly. The roads and lanes cause confusion.

As a whole, such as amsterdam where cycling is promoted and made a right of way traffic works, our traffic system should be redesigned from a time where only cars occupied the roads, to split traffic to bare cyclists on your inner side is too dangerous.

Sheffield isnt an easiest target because of the hills, but obviously it is possible, and then cyclist should also have to gain a license and an insurance, nothing too financial but so that everyone on the road is insured.

Firstly, there's never been a time when only motorists used the road. Roads exist because of pedestrians, cyclists, horses and carriages.

Secondly ALL barriers to cycling are a bad thing. There is no reason to require a license, it would reduce the number of cyclists and increase the danger.

Do you think this pedallista thought the same? Or doesn't it count as it's a DM article? :rolleyes:

Pity that scum bag didnt have a reg plate on his bike. That would make it much easier to trace people when they do something like this.

I read in the article that the biker turned round and smiled at the husband. That really rankles with me and i hope his karma is a painful accident of his own. See how funny he thinks it is then

Edited by Timeh

I wish someone would change the record about rouge cyclists yes we have them but do we really have to be so repeatative on the minority.

A question I asked on another "cycling" thread How often do you come across a menace on a bike because most cyclists I come across are road worthy sensible riders and I do use the word most.

Now if I go out training which I do daily I have to travel through Hillsbrough and from my home in Longley to Malin Bridge I see many many incidents were motorists drive without due care I am so used to bad drivers that I am usually ready for them.

We have to share the road safely and my occational "mistake" and I'm only human and do make bad decisions though rarely then the motorist should be prepared for cyclists who maybe wobble a litle or come out from the edge because of glass or maybe wants to turn right which hacks you off because you have to change gear or break.

Us cyclists contridictory to what motorists say actually look after the safety of ourselves and you as a driver to make sure you don't run into us which saves your no claims bonus being comprimised.

We have a lot to deal with riding a bike on the road just be more patient.

Pity that scum bag didnt have a reg plate on his bike. That would make it much easier to trace people when they do something like this.

I read in the article that the biker turned round and smiled at the husband. That really rankles with me and i hope his karma is a painful accident of his own. See how funny he thinks it is then

They should have a no tattooed on their forhead them cyclists:mad: