Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Specifically it says this;

give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car

It would be pretty unusual to overtake a car without going into the oncoming lane!

And they do still use the image you mention;

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/static/hc/hc_rule_163_give_vulnerable_road_users_at_least_as_much_space_as_you_would_a_car.jpg

You don't have to drive on the wrong side of the road to overtake a cyclist. That's ludicrous. What if there is an unbroken white line? Do you think cars should wait behind a single cyclist. Cyclists should have as much consideration for drivers and they expect drivers to have for them or is it all one sided in favour of the cyclist?

I guess you can always pick and chose what parts of the Highway code that you want to follow, but then that means that you can't complain at other road users when they pick and chose what parts of the Highway Code that they follow.

Chazndave - you are supposed to give a cyclist as much room as you would overtaking a car (you'd be surprised how much of a backdraft can be created by a car travelling at speed). Giving any less is driving dangerously.

---------- Post added 27-04-2015 at 12:37 ----------

This ^^^^

Cyclists are told to ride two abreast except on single track roads.

They werent riding 2 a breast! They were in and out of each other taking a full side of th road!

---------- Post added 27-04-2015 at 18:12 ----------

So im suppsed to drive at 10miles an hour for god knows how long behind a full group of cyclists taking over one side of a road when they could ride to one side of the road and I could easily over take safely? Theyway theydrove made it hard to over take safely.

Some bikers ride safe and SOME DONT!

They werent riding 2 a breast! They were in and out of each other taking a full side of th road!

It's actually easier to overtake a large group of cyclists in bunch formation than if they were in single file. You just need to have a little patience and wait for a safe opportunity. As a previous poster commented - how would you approach this situation if it was a large group of horse riders?

---------- Post added 27-04-2015 at 18:12 ----------

So im suppsed to drive at 10miles an hour for god knows how long behind a full group of cyclists taking over one side of a road when they could ride to one side of the road and I could easily over take safely? Theyway theydrove made it hard to over take safely.

Some bikers ride safe and SOME DONT!

What was wrong with the other side of the road?

I guess you can always pick and chose what parts of the Highway code that you want to follow, but then that means that you can't complain at other road users when they pick and chose what parts of the Highway Code that they follow.

But it's only motorists that apparently have to worry about the Highway Code - it's far too much to expect a bike rider to have to do that, is it would potentially be 'barring them from cycling'?

But it's only motorists that apparently have to worry about the Highway Code - it's far too much to expect a bike rider to have to do that, is it would potentially be 'barring them from cycling'?

It doesn't seem true that motorists worry about the highway code though does it, using this thread as evidence.

Also, most drivers pick and chose what rules they follow when they driving, and justify it on the grounds that it's safe to do so. For example, how many drivers keep to 70MPH on the motorways?

Someone today walked into the office and berated me for "one of YOUR lot"

I think I shall do the same tomorrow, citing motorists who abduct and murder children. After all, if I must share collective responsibility for what someone unrelated and unknown to me did whilst I was nowhere near them, it's only fair that he should be collectively responsible for likewise, based solely on his chosen means of transport.

Same logic. Equally as ridiculous. Just like it's obviously MY fault, because I was driving a car tonight when I had to brake sharply for a car that shot out of a side street without looking, because I was a driver then so he was one of MY lot

I know it's now all cyclists being idiots but the next time the one who zooms past me on Hanover Way - ON THE PEDESTRIAN PART (since there is a near new cycle path) - and nearly knocks into me, he's getting pushed off onto said ground.

I used to cycle, on the road, to the side of the kerb. The reason I stopped, cars deliberately aiming at me...

It's actually easier to overtake a large group of cyclists in bunch formation than if they were in single file. You just need to have a little patience and wait for a safe opportunity. As a previous poster commented - how would you approach this situation if it was a large group of horse riders?

Normally i would agree but not how these were riding. They were asking to be hit.