Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

It sounds like you came close to causing a collision, no wonder she swore at you

Point is it was a one way street, so i was looking for traffic. But some cyclists are up their own arse and not civil. What would have happened if id have reacted angrily back and swore at her? Maybe next time i will.

---------- Post added 01-05-2015 at 12:17 ----------

Do you mean Barkers Pool, between Barclays Bank and HL Browns?

In which case the one way (for motor vehicles) is down the hill towards the Town Hall and Leopold Street, with a cycle lane travelling up (with Barclays Bank on the cyclist's left).

I was looking left, cyclist came from right.

Cars coming down one way, cyclist going up. I know its difficult to grasp that concept.

Point is it was a one way street, so i was looking for traffic. But some cyclists are up their own arse and not civil. What would have happened if id have reacted angrily back and swore at her? Maybe next time i will.

Cars coming down one way, cyclist going up. I know its difficult to grasp that concept.

Re bib. I completely grasp the concept. That's why I questioned it because, from earlier in the thread, it appeared that you didn't. The cyclist was riding perfectly correctly in a cycle lane. Yet earlier in the thread you appeared to be blaming the cyclist. You failed to look and stepped out into the lane. The cycle lane is clearly marked. Would you have done the same if it had been a contraflow bus lane?

Only for you, it seems.

You were entirely in the wrong, and yet you expect the victim of your carelessness to be civil.

Of course, primary position is the best approach - as long as the driver behind doesn't try to just hit you instead, as I experienced not 45 minutes ago. Approaching a traffic island I see a red Honda coming up behind, thought "just to make sure he doesn't do something really crazy I'll make sure I'm as central as possible, only for him to swerve at me. All in order to arrive at the upcoming red traffic light 3 seconds or so before me.

Similar here- in the last hour. Me heading down a quiet road with long line of parked cars on the left, and, heard car coming up behind.

Sounded like he was revving a bit, and I'm not interested in being passed by impatient racer types, given that there's not that much room to pass. So I pull out into the middle of the remaining road.

At which point he gets on the horn, which I completely ignore. Then, at the next junction, I carry on, pulling over to the left, as there's now no parked cars and so plenty of space for him to get by. But he heads off down the left road, whilst shouting something incoherent.

The problem is, some motorists assume you pull into central for no reason other than to slow them down- they seem to have no understanding that you're doing it cos it's the safe and proper thing to do on a bike. That's why, IMO, every physically capable person should have to spend time on a bicycle and be tested on it, as part of the driving test. (as well as being educated into the facts that there's no such thing as road tax, and, that cyclists are not obliged to either ride in the cycle lane, or, wear a helmet :))

Edited by onewheeldave

Re bib. I completely grasp the concept. That's why I questioned it because, from earlier in the thread, it appeared that you didn't. The cyclist was riding perfectly correctly in a cycle lane. Yet earlier in the thread you appeared to be blaming the cyclist. You failed to look and stepped out into the lane. The cycle lane is clearly marked. Would you have done the same if it had been a contraflow bus lane?

So youre saying Cyclists have a right to abuse pedestrians?

Point is it was a one way street, so i was looking for traffic.

Well, you obviously weren't.

It's always worth looking both ways even on a totally one-way street because some vehicles drive up them the wrong way, or worse, think that one way means that you can reverse all the way up them the wrong way as long as their bonnet is pointing the right way

So for your own safety, perhaps looking both ways would be good, but especially when there is a contra-flow lane allowing cycles (or sometimes buses/taxis but not, I believe, anywhere in Sheffield) to proceed in the opposite direction to the main carriageway

BUT

Pedestrians shouldn't (and don't) have to take a "walking test" and may not be aware of contra-flows and the rules. I always expect pedestrians to step out without looking and ride accordingly on them*. In the centre of town such lanes should be used with extra care

*the lane, not the pedestrian!

I got told to 'f-ing look where you are going' by an angry cyclist outside barclays bank in town.

I looked one way (because it was a one way road) but obviously she was coming the other way up the cycle path, cyclist darn nearly ran me over. A sorry would of been nice.

You "darn nearly" knocked a cyclist off her bike. You stepped out in front of her and you expected her to apologise to you.

Only for you, it seems.

You were entirely in the wrong, and yet you expect the victim of your carelessness to be civil.

Absolutely. Or shall we all just shout and swear at each other?

---------- Post added 01-05-2015 at 13:19 ----------

You "darn nearly" knocked a cyclist off her bike. You stepped out in front of her and you expected her to apologise to you.

No she darn nearly ran me over..