Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Guest sibon
I don't believe you ;)

I think that you will find that it is called Shoe Leather Excise Duty.

You cyclo-motorists have no idea.

And passed a test, and paid pavement tax.

And have insurance, after all there are lots of crashes that involve pedestrians. They'll be at fault for some of them, so it's only fair that they have some sort of insurance.

Only yesterday a motorcyclist coming off university roundabout was on a death wish. Crossed straight in front of another car. Nearly causing the car to hit him. Its not ALWAYS the car drivers fault. Im fed up the back teeth of people assuming the cyclists are innocent. They arent!!! Yes if collided the biker is going to come worse off or even die but that doesnt mean its the drivers fault! That driver then has to live with the feeling of the accident too and damage to himself emotionally and physically but damage to the vehicle.

Only yesterday a motorcyclist coming off university roundabout was on a death wish. Crossed straight in front of another car. Nearly causing the car to hit him. Its not ALWAYS the car drivers fault. Im fed up the back teeth of people assuming the cyclists are innocent. They arent!!! Yes if collided the biker is going to come worse off or even die but that doesnt mean its the drivers fault! That driver then has to live with the feeling of the accident too and damage to himself emotionally and physically but damage to the vehicle.

Show me where anybody has said that cyclists are always innocent. You're either making it up or imagining it.

Are you talking about cyclists with motors, or the self propelled variety?

And passed a test, and paid pavement tax.

A test makes sense. A lot of pedestrians have never demonstrated competence understanding the laws of the pavement, and indeed the road since they're allowed to use it. Really it should be a harder test to be a pedestrian than to be a motorist, and probably a higher rate of PED (Personal Exercise* Duty).

* - See what I did there?

---------- Post added 17-06-2015 at 16:19 ----------

And have insurance, after all there are lots of crashes that involve pedestrians. They'll be at fault for some of them, so it's only fair that they have some sort of insurance.

Pedestrians have scratched my car and then left the scene on foot.

If they'd had insurance and license plates riveted to their bodies then I could have tracked them down with my CCTV images and sued them. So the next pedestrian that I see clearly deserves running over, or at least a dangerously close overtake. And don't get me started if I see one in the road, I'll be shouting about getting back on your pavement, and paying tax. Bloody menace they are.

So, having only once experienced the right-turner overtake manoeuvre before this week, I've now encountered it twice in three days. Whereas on Monday there was the very vaguest possibility that there could have been incompetence involved, yesterday it was pure malice; I indicate right and move across, at which point the flat-bed truck behind accelerates in order to speed past me on the right-hand side. There was plenty of space for them to pass on the left. The look in the guys eye made it very clear that he would have been completely content to hit me and carrying on going.

Anyone else bored of this thread yet? Seriously, the repetition is beyond tedious.

I come on the forum to see what news there is in Sheffield and every time, right up at the top of the list, is this turgid nonsense.

2 questions. Why does this thread irk you so much? Why open this thread if it does vex you?