Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

No, but the previously provided studies plus my own observations do..

One of those previously provided studies was a survey monkey form on a motoring organisation's website, and yet still they both succeed in undermining your very point. Here on the other hand, is a study by TFL which found that in London, the city most known for reckless cycling, actual observation showed cyclists jumping red lights 16% of the time.

And as for your personal observations, how are they any more valid than other people's personal observations? You've talked about how you do a long commute, and yet on at least two occasions you've held up having seen a single cyclist go through red lights that day as evidence that cyclists go through reds roughly 50% of the time. Where's your long commute if you typically see two cyclists?

One of those previously provided studies was a survey monkey form on a motoring organisation's website, and yet still they both succeed in undermining your very point. Here on the other hand, is a study by TFL which found that in London, the city most known for reckless cycling, actual observation showed cyclists jumping red lights 16% of the time.

And as for your personal observations, how are they any more valid than other people's personal observations? You've talked about how you do a long commute, and yet on at least two occasions you've held up having seen a single cyclist go through red lights that day as evidence that cyclists go through reds roughly 50% of the time. Where's your long commute if you typically see two cyclists?

This got me thinking.

On my 10 mile commute, I reckon I see typically 8 to 10 cyclists in the morning, but more like 18 to 20 in the evening (on a slightly different route). Often the same ones on roughly the same stretch of road. I think that is a lot compared to a few years ago, so maybe cycle commuting is becoming more popular.

I would say I see maybe 8 to 10 cyclists per day. But only around 1 or 2 of those sightings are on the approach to red lights, so I would say around 50% to 100% per day run red when presented with the opportunity. I see many times more cars at the front at red lights, presented with the same opportunity. I see maybe 1 car a day run a red, out of at least dozens with an opportunity to do so.

I once did a 5 minute observation out of an office window in London and at the particular pedestrian crossing I could see, 9 in 10 cyclists ran the light. There were about 30 in the 5 minutes as it was rush hour.

We're not in London though, by observation on my commute it's far less here in Sheffield.

I would say I see maybe 8 to 10 cyclists per day. But only around 1 or 2 of those sightings are on the approach to red lights, so I would say around 50% to 100% per day run red when presented with the opportunity. I see many times more cars at the front at red lights, presented with the same opportunity. I see maybe 1 car a day run a red, out of at least dozens with an opportunity to do so.

I don't see drivers waiting at red lights who then set off while it is still red (but see plenty going on the red & amber). However, I regularly see drivers carrying on against an amber (when it would have been easy and safe to stop), and quite a few who are so far into the amber that it is already red by the time they pass.

I once did a 5 minute observation out of an office window in London and at the particular pedestrian crossing I could see, 9 in 10 cyclists ran the light. There were about 30 in the 5 minutes as it was rush hour.

We're not in London though, by observation on my commute it's far less here in Sheffield.

It's a plague in London - I often cycle there on the TfL bikes and see so many RLJs and indeed shout at them :)

However, the cars/vans/lorries are just as bad at breaking every rule on the road.

London (City Of) is almost a different country. Economically. Transport-wise. Policing-wise. and culturally including driving and cycling habits. For instance, ASL's are enforced with fines - they are effectively meaningless here. And some notorious junctions, "bus only" routes and pavement cut throughs are patrolled and cyclists stopped and fined. That doesn't happen here either.

Enough, I think, to skew a national average.

A survey (whatever it may turn up) to do with commuting methods and behaviour, would be more reliable I feel, if it were done in every major UK city except London.

For the same reason that you wouldn't survey every sleepy hamlet and come to the conclusion that moving sheep between fields was the primary cause of city centre congestion

London (City Of) is almost a different country. Economically. Transport-wise. Policing-wise. and culturally including driving and cycling habits.

Enough, I think, to skew a national average.

A survey (whatever it may turn up) to do with commuting methods and behaviour, would be more reliable I feel, if it were done in every major UK city except London.

For the same reason that you wouldn't survey every sleepy hamlet and come to the conclusion that moving sheep between fields was the primary cause of city centre congestion

I also think that unless you've seen the sheer volume of people cycling in That London you wouldn't belive it.

I also think that unless you've seen the sheer volume of people cycling in That London you wouldn't belive it.

To be fair, with the volume of traffic and the relative flatness of London, it's the quickest way to get around.