Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

I think these drivers dislike anyone else on the road..not just cyclists..

Maybe, but they identify with drivers because they are one, so they can't mentally say "drivers cause all the problems" because they can't blame themselves (obviously).

And they're far more dangerous to cyclists than to other motorists.

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 11:26 ----------

Well our observations are very different, but I think opportunity is the only method to use. I suggest we meet up at Hunters Bar roundabout, evening rush hour, and pick a set of lights to study. When the lights are at red, we will count cyclists running red vs stopping, and the same for cars, and calculate percentages as comparison.

I suspect that the results would be very different depending on what set of lights you choose.

Choose a pedestrian crossing in town for example and you'll get more cyclists running it.

Choose a set of lights on Penistone Rd and you'll see motorists running it. Particularly if it's a short cycle set.

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 11:27 ----------

I never suggested otherwise- you're clearly intolerant of cyclists going through reds, which is why I pointed out that it was well observed that, unlike most of the knee-jerk 'cyclist going through reds is always evil' crew here, you could acknowledge that many cyclists go through reds in a rational and observant manner.

Recognising it as dangerous and ultimately very unhelpful behaviour is not intolerance. Tolerance doesn't mean letting every idiot do whatever they fancy.

No, it's not OK- he/she is a motorist.

Why would you be so intolerant of HGV drivers going through red lights? Are you a fully paid up member of the HGVs running red lights are evil group? What a knee jerk position for you to take.

Maybe, but they identify with drivers because they are one, so they can't mentally say "drivers cause all the problems" because they can't blame themselves (obviously).

And they're far more dangerous to cyclists than to other motorists..

They say "other drivers cause the problems".......

I can think of one junction where I've seen cyclist(s) going through a red light on a few occasions. This is at the traffic lights next to the tram terminus at Malin Bridge, on Holme Lane, heading towards Hillsborough Corner.

Although it is illegal and I wouldn't do it, I can sort of understand the logic. By setting off early, ie before the lights change to green, he can manoeuvre over the tramtracks at close to right angles, without having to worry about a car being close to his shoulder as it tries to overtake/squeeze past. Also, there is a long run in before he passes the end of Ball road (where traffic emerges), so he will not come into contact with them as their lights will have changed to red well before he gets there. He can see the lights for the service road part of Loxley Rd emerging at the side of the tram track and the tram track itself. So he can do the whole manoeuvre safely, just not legally.

What I find hard to understand in this and many other cases, is why some motorists actually get upset by these actions. Fair enough if they were putting themselves or others in danger, but in many cases they are not. it is an offence, but one without adverse consequences.

So why get upset by someone else doing it?

Edited by Eater Sundae

I far too often see cyclists run multiple red lights on Langsett Rd and Infirmary Rd.

They do it because they're lazy and don't want to stop and start again.

Although OWD will tell you that it's not true and they do it because it's safer.

Edited by Cyclone

To be fair, with the volume of traffic and the relative flatness of London, it's the quickest way to get around.
Always has been.

I recall seeing that the average speed of traffic in Central London about a hundred years back was about 8/9mph. It's almost exactly the same now, that's progress for you eh.

However a bike's average speed there is about 12mph.