Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

A perfect storm, cyclist bashing and SCC bashing all in one juicy little story. I sense we can take this to 100 pages ....

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-paid-staff-1-500-to-bike-to-business-meetings-figures-reveal-1-7339383

Omni

4:52 PM on 02/07/2015

It would be nice if The Star could contextualise this with some numbers on the equivalent rate per mile for motorised travel. This story could reveal several thousand pounds saved by staff cycling instead of driving/buses.

Quite.

Eh? The quote above is >10 characters. What's going on?

I do find the suggestion made earlier - that it's not an obvious option - slightly strange.
Why? I was simply curious as to what other people thought was 'obvious'. As that can vary from person to person, not to mention location. As demonstrated the people who get killed at lights whilst on bikes. If things were actually that 'obvious' then it wouldn't happen.

I know personally I tend not use the primary position when stuck in traffic as its daunting being wedged between two motor vehicles, especially as the one in front could roll backwards when setting off and it eliminates any possibility of filtering to the front of the traffic.

There is also the fact the exhaust fumes can be choking, especially with asthma. I especially try to stay a decent distance away from any bus/lorry in front to avoid that which would really **** off the drivers behind if I were in the primary position then and they can see a car-sized gap in front of me.

So no, its definitely not the "obvious" alternative for everyone.

Why? I was simply curious as to what other people thought was 'obvious'. As that can vary from person to person, not to mention location. As demonstrated the people who get killed at lights whilst on bikes. If things were actually that 'obvious' then it wouldn't happen.

I suggested that there was another obvious option, which is to neither run the red light, nor to be in a dangerous position to the left of the HGV in their blindspot, ie behind them. If that's non-obvious and cyclists feel they can only choose between two bad options, then it's a big problem. I didn't suggest that it was obviously the best decision, although I'm pretty sure that it is. And just because another obvious option exists, doesn't mean that therefore people would naturally choose it. Neither do I think that the lorry drivers are without fault in these cases.

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 19:41 ----------

I know personally I tend not use the primary position when stuck in traffic as its daunting being wedged between two motor vehicles, especially as the one in front could roll backwards when setting off and it eliminates any possibility of filtering to the front of the traffic.

There is also the fact the exhaust fumes can be choking, especially with asthma. I especially try to stay a decent distance away from any bus/lorry in front to avoid that which would really **** off the drivers behind if I were in the primary position then and they can see a car-sized gap in front of me.

So no, its definitely not the "obvious" alternative for everyone.

Once again, I said "an obvious option" not "the obvious alternative". Nonetheless, I do find (even as a fairly severe asthmatic) being in primary position and leaving space in front in such traffic a much more comfortable alternative to having then on my right, naively assuming they might have seen me - especially when an HGV out bus is involved.

But both rider and driver can see it's clear to proceed...are you proposing different rules at traffic lights for cyclists? eg go through on red if you reckon you can make it..?

Yes, that's exactly what they're saying. And therein lies the answer to the question posed in the thread title.

Yes, that's exactly what they're saying. And therein lies the answer to the question posed in the thread title.

Once again you're posting a completely fictional conclusion which is in direct contradiction to the very premises that are staring you in the face. That's a very weak approach.

I suspect not, the rules are perfectly good as they are.
Edited by mattleonard
Add quote

Here's what Dr Ian Walker - psychologist, has to say about people's attitudes towards cycling:

“What you see in discourses about cycling is the absolute classic 1960s and 1970s social psychology of prejudice. It’s exactly those things that used to be done about minority ethnic groups and so on – the overgeneralisation of negative traits, under-representation of negative behaviours by one’s own group, that kind of thing. It’s just textbook prejudiced behaviour.”

Here's what Dr Ian Walker - psychologist, has to say about people's attitudes towards cycling:

Send in the thought police - we need a new crime, "cyclist-ist".

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 22:03 ----------

Once again you're posting a completely fictional conclusion which is in direct contradiction to the very premises that are staring you in the face. That's a very weak approach.

It's not fictional. We agree there is some degree of animosity towards cyclists. You cannot dispute my own observations as to the proportions of them that I see running red lights, because you don't travel with me. The conclusion is very real. If I feel any animosity towards cyclists, it is because I see a large proportion of them ignore red lights. Why do you think there is animosity?

Send in the thought police - we need a new crime, "cyclist-ist".

Not at all, where have I suggested that your ignorance should be punished? Mocked - yes, but stopped no, so please carry on. Dr Ian Walker does hit the nail on the head though.

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 22:05 ----------

It's not fictional. We agree there is some degree of animosity towards cyclists. You cannot dispute my own observations as to the proportions of them that I see running red lights, because you don't travel with me. The conclusion is very real. If I feel any animosity towards cyclists, it is because I see a large proportion of them ignore red lights. Why do you think there is animosity?

I think that you're falling victim to the habit of overgeneralisation of the negative traits of cyclists!

I think that you're falling victim to the habit of overgeneralisation of the negative traits of cyclists!

And I don't. I'm falling victim to my own eyes seeing a high proportion of them run red lights. Since mattleonard rejected my kind offer, perhaps you would like to partake in some traffic light studies with me instead? We could set up camp near Hunters Bar, complete with clipboards. A fun day out by anyone's standards.