Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

not at all as those in that picture are old enough to decide wether its safe or not:roll::roll::roll: next point?

the guy i saw was a cyclist and an iresponsible one at that...there are many of them too:o

Nuance really isn't your thing, is it? You repeatedly seem to be saying that all cyclists should be tarred with the same animositical brush because of one cyclists actions. And when the comparison with drivers is made, you say it's irrelevant because of the age of the children, with your :roll::roll::roll:s.

So obviously by your logic, the existence of this story is conclusive incriminating to all drivers.

As a driver myself, I can't help but take exception to your logic.

Nuance really isn't your thing, is it? You repeatedly seem to be saying that all cyclists should be tarred with the same animositical brush because of one cyclists actions. And when the comparison with drivers is made, you say it's irrelevant because of the age of the children, with your :roll::roll::roll:s.

So obviously by your logic, the existence of this story is conclusive incriminating to all drivers.

As a driver myself, I can't help but take exception to your logic.

Ha Ha you numpty, you really have to go as far as china to find something to come back with:hihi::hihi: at least those kids had a little more protection, the guy with three kids under five on abbeydale road had little or none i dont know whos the most stupid you or the cyclist to honest:roll::roll:

Ha Ha you numpty, you really have to go as far as china to find something to come back with:hihi::hihi: at least those kids had a little more protection, the guy with three kids under five on abbeydale road had little or none i dont know whos the most stupid you or the cyclist to honest:roll::roll:

Actually, having lots of kids hanging off your bike is probably a good safety feature. More drivers will react by giving the bike a wide berth (something which they should have done anyway but often don't).

I wonder if cyclists can be recognized as a "protected species", or whatever the term

is, and be protected against hate crimes.

It's a protected characteristic. That would be too much wrapping up in metaphorical cotton wool for my liking. Ideally the individuals with a pathological need to hate something will grow out of it or somehow else sublime this into hatred of something worth hating. That isn't likely to happen unfortunately.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

You really don't get it do you?! I've not for a moment suggested that the behaviour of the cyclist you saw on Abbeydale Road wasn't idiotic - but what's that got to do with any other cyclist? The answer - exactly as much as some car in China has to do with your driving.

Really?

I go to work on my bike most days in the summer. This week I have been the ONLY cyclist I've seen stop at the lights near B&Q on Queen's Road.

I hate a lot of the anti-cycling rhetoric. I'm not blind though.

To be fair, I qualify my statement in another post where I say:

I would happily admit that my sample may be flawed as most of the lights are on busy junctions, so it would be difficult for anyone to go through on a red.

Really?

I go to work on my bike most days in the summer. This week I have been the ONLY cyclist I've seen stop at the lights near B&Q on Queen's Road.

I hate a lot of the anti-cycling rhetoric. I'm not blind though.

I think that's a reasonable point. If you're going to measure road users intentions, then yes, actually measuring from a location where there seems to be maximal opportunity to transgress and benefit from it is sensible. I encounter eleven sets of traffic lights on my commute, and I do see very few cyclists fail to stop and considerably more motorists jump red lights, but I expect it does vary (although the lights I do encounter do provide plenty of opportunity and benefit). By the same token WiseOwl's suggestion of Hunters Bar roundabout as a suitable location for studying this is very silly.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 17:05 ----------

Ha Ha you numpty

:hihi::hihi:

:roll::roll:

That kind of stuff tends to backfire when the content of your post is an irrational, hypocritical, ill-thought-out diatribe.

i dont know whos the most stupid you or the cyclist to honest

I'd personally lean towards it being him, but I'm pretty sure that you've managed to set the bar lower than both of us.

Here's what Dr Ian Walker - psychologist, has to say about people's attitudes towards cycling:
I've said exactly the same thing for a long time now and is why I refer to the anti-cyclist numpties as bigots.Because that is exactly what they are.

---------- Post added 06-07-2015 at 01:05 ----------

That's the same guardian article that has been posted a few pages earlier in the thread.

You still don't seem to understand the point being made. :huh: