Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

You still don't seem to understand the point being made. :huh:

I was reminded of smilersarah on Saturday when I witnessed a strange occurrence on Abbeydale Road of all places. I was driving along and noticed that in the car in front there were three toddler-ish sized children climbing up the rear seats. One of them seemed to be punching the others. All three were at times leaning over into the boot, swapping places and climbing over each other. The car pulled over by Majestic Wine, and as I passed I could see that there were two ladies in the back, possibly themselves strapped in, and the children - who definitely weren't - were just climbing all over them. They seemed unconcerned about either the children's behaviour, or their safety.

Now I'd say that the situation concerned just showed that the adults in the car were irresponsible, but if I were to apply smilersarah's logic then it would be a damning indictment of drivers in general (although no doubt she'd argue that because those children were in an enclosed environment, or some equally irrelevant detail like the fact that the incident occurred at the weekend rather than during normal working hours, that therefore I am a numpty).

I was reminded of smilersarah on Saturday when I witnessed a strange occurrence on Abbeydale Road of all places. I was driving along and noticed that in the car in front there were three toddler-ish sized children climbing up the rear seats. One of them seemed to be punching the others. All three were at times leaning over into the boot, swapping places and climbing over each other. The car pulled over by Majestic Wine, and as I passed I could see that there were two ladies in the back, possibly themselves strapped in, and the children - who definitely weren't - were just climbing all over them. They seemed unconcerned about either the children's behaviour, or their safety.

Now I'd say that the situation concerned just showed that the adults in the car were irresponsible, but if I were to apply smilersarah's logic then it would be a damning indictment of drivers in general (although no doubt she'd argue that because those children were in an enclosed environment, or some equally irrelevant detail like the fact that the incident occurred at the weekend rather than during normal working hours, that therefore I am a numpty).

You certainly are a numpty. Don't you know that cars incorporate the safety feature of a sloping windscreen. In the totally unlikely event of an accident, the children will hit the angled windscreen and be safely deflected down into the lap of the driver and front seat passenger.

In other news (from Road.cc website).... car insurance companies are starting to tell their customers to share the road responsibly:

http://www.motoringassist.com/motoring-advice/news/sharing-the-road-with-cyclists/?adnetwork=AF

Or more cynically they are starting to realise that irresponsible drivers cost them money! Either way it's not going to change anything drastically but the more education the better.

You certainly are a numpty. Don't you know that cars incorporate the safety feature of a sloping windscreen. In the totally unlikely event of an accident, the children will hit the angled windscreen and be safely deflected down into the lap of the driver and front seat passenger.

Thanks, ES :hihi:

In other news (from Road.cc website).... car insurance companies are starting to tell their customers to share the road responsibly:

http://www.motoringassist.com/motoring-advice/news/sharing-the-road-with-cyclists/?adnetwork=AF

Or more cynically they are starting to realise that irresponsible drivers cost them money! Either way it's not going to change anything drastically but the more education the better.

For the help of the drivers reading this thread, I'd thought that I'd take the liberty of cutting and pasting the hints onto this thread.

• Remember above all that everyone on the road is trying to get somewhere safely. Do everything you can to play your part and you’ll be contributing to a safer road environment.

• Good observation is key, especially at junctions. This, combined with patience, helps ensure safer journeys for drivers and riders. As drivers, we should try to defuse tension, not increase it.

• Don’t stress when a cyclist performs a risky or illegal manoeuvre, and certainly don’t make any attempt to rebuke someone whose riding behaviour offends you. And don’t assume that if one cyclist does something dangerous, then all cyclists do it.

• Cyclists are entitled to the full lane of a road, not just the extreme left part. They need to manoeuvre round hazards such as potholes or drains, so be sure to anticipate this and give the space they need to stay safe.

• Give cyclists plenty of space when you pass – ideally as much space as you would give when overtaking another car. Avoid squeezing past or starting an overtaking manoeuvre when you can’t see far enough ahead to know you can complete it safely.

:hihi::hihi: oh how clever we are:roll:using your vivid imagination as a key board warrior:suspect: clearly you dont get out much into the real world :loopy: any sane person can see which is safer mode of carrying kids, yes car drivers can also be irresponsible but the percentage ratio to cyclists is far lower! 3 kids on bike is stupid as most things cyclits do on regular basis:o red light jumping, pavement hopping, weaving through pedestrians, 2 abreast etc etc

So we should believe you about 3 children + 1 adult on a bike.

But we shouldn't believe that some children were unfastened in a car.

Do you understand yet the point that was being made about your massive generalisation?

Lol, you also mention riding 2 abreast, as if it's somehow wrong. Have you heard of the highway code? Because you're clearly not familiar with it.

So we should believe you about 3 children + 1 adult on a bike.

But we shouldn't believe that some children were unfastened in a car.

Do you understand yet the point that was being made about your massive generalisation?

Lol, you also mention riding 2 abreast, as if it's somehow wrong. Have you heard of the highway code? Because you're clearly not familiar with it.

i dont really care what you believe, as i said unfastened kids in a car, wrong as it is ,i s a damn sight safer and slightly more sensible than 3 kids and an adult on a bike in traffic, stop being so obtuse or is that your modis operandi???

yes i understand the point and stand by it in this case.

by the way the highway code does not say 2 a breast is fine in traffic, holding everyone up its common courtesy to be in single file lol!

:hihi::hihi: oh how clever we are:roll:using your vivid imagination as a key board warrior:suspect: clearly you dont get out much into the real world :loopy:any sane person can see which is safer mode of carrying kids, yes car drivers can also be irresponsible but the percentage ratio to cyclists is far lower! 3 kids on bike is stupid as most things cyclits do on regular basis:o red light jumping, pavement hopping, weaving through pedestrians, 2 abreast etc etc

If you seriously think that an unrestrained child in a car is somehow magically safer than a child on a bike, then there's not much hope. For a start, cars generally travel faster for at least part of their journey. In an accident at say 30 mph, that child is likely to still be travelling at close to 30 when it hits a solid object, which could be the windscreen, or the back of the driver's head as two examples.

:hihi::hihi: oh how clever we are:roll:using your vivid imagination as a key board warrior

Rational discussion of a point doesn't really count as being a "keyboard warrior"

clearly you dont get out much into the real world :loopy: any sane person can see which is safer mode of carrying kids

Quite agree, with the dodgy drivers out there, I'd transport my kids in a big metal box. No question there.

yes car drivers can also be irresponsible but the percentage ratio to cyclists is far lower!

I'd love to see what research you have to support this assertion.

3 kids on bike is stupid as most things cyclits do on regular basis:o red light jumping, pavement hopping, weaving through pedestrians, 2 abreast etc etc

What exactly is wrong with cycling two abreast? It's safer, perfectly legal and easier for drivers to pass.

The point was being made earlier that you are damning all cyclists for the actions of a minority, just as you could damn all drivers for speeding, jumping red lights, passing cyclists dangerously etc.