Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

blah blah and blah.

Just wondering if you or anyone else considers nipping past the stop line to go on the cycle path as "going thru a red light". I certainly don't and do that all the time when I turn left here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.395813,-1.487344,3a,75y,121.58h,64.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssr2ABWamJMi-KrhsiSgZDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Its somewhat hard to decide whether that is breaking the law. I suppose if I stopped just before the stop line then hopped up the curb onto the cycle path then it really isn't illegal. however, its just a damn site easier to nip ahead of the light and use the dropped curb so if you don't mind i'll continue doing it. Well you probably do mind but I'm going to continue anyway. Have you ever broken a speed limit? We're all very good at spotting the misdemeanours of others but not so good at spotted our own.

There's a number of traffic lights where they actually provide a dropped curbed to allow cyclists to circumvent traffic lights! Like here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.387441,-1.474318,3a,75y,72.3h,53.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd_PPQDpFsYI1rojjEYID2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Isn't it great?

As for blatantly riding through red lights at speed when there's cars crossing my path, I don't do that as its somewhat dangerous and a bit antisocial.

Edited by TimmyR

Hahahaha! I laugh at you British and the hilarious way you wait at a red light when there's nothing around!

Be more like the USA where drivers can turn right through a red light!

Be more like the Lebanese where drivers can go in any direction through a red light!

In both cases the red light is treated as a "give way" not a "stop".

Then your traffic shall flow more freely and you shall all get along much better without divide-and-conquer arguments between groups of road users about percentage differences on who passes through red lights. Quit the jealousy about other road users and petition your government to make the practice official.

Peace.

Hahahaha! I laugh at you British and the hilarious way you wait at a red light when there's nothing around!

Be more like the USA where drivers can turn right through a red light!

Be more like the Lebanese where drivers can go in any direction through a red light!

In both cases the red light is treated as a "give way" not a "stop".

Then your traffic shall flow more freely and you shall all get along much better without divide-and-conquer arguments between groups of road users about percentage differences on who passes through red lights. Quit the jealousy about other road users and petition your government to make the practice official.

Peace.

I totally agree with this. One thing the USA got right. I really don't understand why this red light thing gets people quite so upset. Its second only to child abuse on the list of most hated crimes.

Edited by TimmyR

No point in having a red light if it means give way, just have a give way sign.

Green light still has priority, so no. (A give way sign never has priority).

Makes it impossible to use them to control flow towards a junction though.

That's a bit of an ugly hack anyway. I'm sure there'll be a better way. But I must go do some work....

So here are the top ten crimes Brits commit most:

1. Speeding (62%)

2. Having sex in a public space (43%)

3. Dropping litter (35%)

4. Illegally downloading music/film/TV (33%)

5. Stealing (33%)

6. Pilfering hotel room goods (30%)

7. Avoiding a travel fare (26%)

8. Taking recreational drugs (25%)

9. Parking on double yellow lines (24%)

10. Texting/using mobile without hands-free when driving (17%)

So we know who the law breakers are. Can we move on now?

Quit the jealousy about other road users and petition your government to make the practice official.

Hey Brits! The garlic-munching surrender monkeys are beating you!

Paris to allow cyclists to skip red lights

Cyclists in Paris to be allowed to skip some red lights after tests show it will not increase accidents

Cyclists in Paris are to be allowed to ride through some red lights in a bid by the mayors office to get more people on their bikes.

At several junctions there will be separate signals for cars and bikes, and while cars will be held by a red light, cyclists will be permitted to turn right or go straight ahead.

How sensible! Are you gonna be left behind having petty arguments amongst yourselves?

Cyclists in Paris to be allowed to skip some red lights after tests show it will not increase accidents

Cyclists in Paris are to be allowed to ride through some red lights in a bid by the mayors office to get more people on their bikes.

At several junctions there will be separate signals for cars and bikes, and while cars will be held by a red light, cyclists will be permitted to turn right or go straight ahead.

How sensible! Are you gonna be left behind having petty arguments amongst yourselves?

You missed out this part: In such scenarios, they would have to give way to pedestrians and other road users where necessary.

Giving way to pedestrians is very unlikely after a 'green light', in France or the UK.