Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Just wondering if you or anyone else considers nipping past the stop line to go on the cycle path as "going thru a red light". I certainly don't and do that all the time when I turn left here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.395813,-1.487344,3a,75y,121.58h,64.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssr2ABWamJMi-KrhsiSgZDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Its somewhat hard to decide whether that is breaking the law..

But turning left there is not "to go on the cycle path" as the cycle path doesn't go left - it goes ahead along Penistone Road, on a lights-controlled junction with a stop light for cyclists

So if you're turning left, hopping up the kerb and continuing on the footpath down Neepsend Lane, you're running a red and then cycling on the pavement

If you're turning left then heading across the crossing, chances are you're running 2 reds on the one junction..

So is t
an acceptable example of cycling on a pavement?

Is it really safe if someone walked out of their property to be hit by this person on a bike?

Are you telling us or asking us? Has anyone on this thread endorsed cycling on the pavement to pass red lights?

---------- Post added 10-07-2015 at 10:27 ----------

You've not shown how long the roadworks are though.

If the cyclist had taken the primary position and you'd followed him through, I bet you'd be complaining about that as well... And the timing of road works traffic lights is set for cars, the cyclist might not actually make it through at all on a green cycle of the lights. What then?

One person on the thread then. And for the reason that it's safer or they simply won't change for cyclists (induction loop not triggering I guess).

Safer for whom? Certainly not other pavement users. Or is safety just an excuse for 'I want to save a bit of time..'?

But turning left there is not "to go on the cycle path" as the cycle path doesn't go left - it goes ahead along Penistone Road, on a lights-controlled junction with a stop light for cyclists

So if you're turning left, hopping up the kerb and continuing on the footpath down Neepsend Lane, you're running a red and then cycling on the pavement

If you're turning left then heading across the crossing, chances are you're running 2 reds on the one junction..

I turn left down neepsend by turning onto the road at the junction (obviously and why do I have to state this, checking for cars before I do so) - there's no footpath involved at any point. Possibly running the pedestrian/cycle crossing red light but its not illegal to go through red on a pedestrian crossing (jay walking) in this country. Most of the time though that is on green because the previous lights are on red.

But most importantly, it doesn't bloody matter! It effects no one but me and certainly is no more risky than any other route I could take through there.

---------- Post added 10-07-2015 at 12:36 ----------

One person on the thread then. And for the reason that it's safer or they simply won't change for cyclists (induction loop not triggering I guess).

I do and so do people who design shared cycle/footways and this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.387441,-1.474318,3a,75y,72.3h,53.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd_PPQDpFsYI1rojjEYID2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In those circumstances it is deemed totally safe. I'm of the opinion that it should be legal to cycle on a footpath.

I cycle A LOT along the footpath mainly when I'm transporting my son around on the bike seat. I'm not willing to take the risk of riding with him on the road. Its only since I've started carrrying him around that I've realised how utterly awful the cycle infrastructure is in Sheffield. Its no wonder very few cycle here.

Edited by TimmyR

I turn left down neepsend by turning onto the road at the junction (obviously and why do I have to state this, checking for cars before I do so) - there's no footpath involved at any point.

Ah, now that's a different matter, but wasn't clear as a part of a section of discussion on "nipping onto the footpath to get around red lights", in context you seemed to be saying you hopped up the kerb at the light

What you are doing is using the cycle path then leaving it at Neepsend lane, so not taking a detour onto a path at all, so not sure why it was mentioned in this context?

I do and so do people who design shared cycle/footways and this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.387441,-1.474318,3a,75y,72.3h,53.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd_PPQDpFsYI1rojjEYID2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In those circumstances it is deemed totally safe.

Again, that bit isn't "going on the footpath to avoid a red light", it's entering and exiting a cycle path at entry and exit points, so totally different to hopping up the kerb and using a footpath to bypass a red light

And it's quite a handy way of safely getting across to the outside lane to turn right up towards The Shakespeare a few yards up

You've not shown how long the roadworks are though.

If the cyclist had taken the primary position and you'd followed him through, I bet you'd be complaining about that as well... And the timing of road works traffic lights is set for cars, the cyclist might not actually make it through at all on a green cycle of the lights. What then?

Given the tram lines and that the 'when red light shows wait here' sign blocks the left of the road the cyclist would be forced to cross the tram track and take the primary position - and likely go slower as they'll have to prepare for crossing the tram tracks again later. A cyclist facing oncoming traffic after the lights change on a single lane section by roadworks isn't that much of a problem, they can always stop and pull their bike to the side, but for any following cars it's not so easy. It looks to me like that is the perfect place for a mischievous cyclist to cause traffic mayhem - with two lines of cars trying to head in opposite directions along the same lane. Perhaps by going onto the pavement where there weren't any pedestrians or houses for them to come out of, the cyclist was an attempting to avoid this.

Ah, now that's a different matter, but wasn't clear as a part of a section of discussion on "nipping onto the footpath to get around red lights", in context you seemed to be saying you hopped up the kerb at the light

What you are doing is using the cycle path then leaving it at Neepsend lane, so not taking a detour onto a path at all, so not sure why it was mentioned in this context?

Again, that bit isn't "going on the footpath to avoid a red light", it's entering and exiting a cycle path at entry and exit points, so totally different to hopping up the kerb and using a footpath to bypass a red light

And it's quite a handy way of safely getting across to the outside lane to turn right up towards The Shakespeare a few yards up

Top bit, I do in fact go through the red light to get to the dropped curb to get onto the cycle path, its in advance of the traffic light but in no way do I cross the path of any other vehicle. thats why I mention it. I don't consider it an issue but some people would wee themselves with rage at the sight of it happening and then drive at over the speed limit to make themselves feel better. All the animosity towards cyclists is very very tedious.

Bottom bit, except that its also a footpath and so why is it safe to ride on that footpath and not any footpath?

Edited by TimmyR

I encountered someone cycling the wrong way up the 3rd lane on the ring road (near the train station), whilst texting on Thursday night. I had to swerve and normally I leave loads of room, but I must admit I was completely shocked! The car behind me was even closer... :|