Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

One person on the thread then. And for the reason that it's safer or they simply won't change for cyclists (induction loop not triggering I guess).
Exactly, I regularly use the pedestrian crossing to skip around the red light on Derek Dooley way heading back to town as it often won't change for bikes. So I have two options, go through a red light or use the pedestrian crossing, one that I struggle to ever recall seeing a pedestrian use.

I'd much rather stay on the road, but it isn't bike friendly. Ironically, because cars are not allowed through that way, you are very unlikely to get lights triggered by a vehicle so a bike gets stuck there.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 20:46 ----------

Safer for whom? Certainly not other pavement users. Or is safety just an excuse for 'I want to save a bit of time..'?
Do you know what is most stupid about such bigoted 'logic'? The fact that cars kill people on the pavements on a regular basis and cyclist do not.

A little tip if you do have to cross a junction that you know sometimes doesn't pick you up

Stop at the induction sensor, if you can see it. Put a foot on the ground and lean the bike over so that the front wheel is over at 45 degrees or more directly over the sensor, rather than being perpendicular to the ground. The big circular rim is much more likely to register.

If you have carbon fibre rims, ignore what I just said

Thank you, I didn't know this ... I will try it next time :) :)

Guest sibon

Do you know what is most stupid about such bigoted 'logic'? The fact that cars kill people on the pavements on a regular basis and cyclist do not.

Bikes are not allowed on most pavements.

Please observe the Highway Code when using your machine.

Exactly the same law which forbids cars driving or parking on pavements except to enter/exit driveways.

So what is your point exactly?

Edited by AlexAtkin

How about cyclists take the same approach that motorists take towards the highway code?

Most motorists would break the highway code if they judge it safe to do so, and they won't get caught. For example, only a small minority of motorists drive at 70MPH on a motorway, unless there's a police car/speed cameras around.

I think that I can sense a certain amount of animosity from cyclists in Sheffield as well!

Guest sibon
Exactly the same law which forbids cars driving or parking on pavements except to enter/exit driveways.

So what is your point exactly?

How about cyclists take the same approach that motorists take towards the highway code?

Most motorists would break the highway code if they judge it safe to do so, and they won't get caught. For example, only a small minority of motorists drive at 70MPH on a motorway, unless there's a police car/speed cameras around.

Its funny, isn't it, this growing clamour for cyclists to be allowed to ride on pavements. I hope it never comes to pass, there are too many unskilled and stupid cyclists to allow them to mingle with vulnerable pedestrians.

The road/driver/cyclist argument is a total red herring in this case. Cycling on the pavement increases the risk to pedestrians. It is not legal on most pavements. That is how it should remain.

I think the real problem is that bikes don't have hazard lights. If they did, and had them on, then presumably cycling on the pavement, blocking driveways, leaving bikes chained at the side of the road on double yellow lines, stopping in the middle of the road to have a chat to a mate who's cycling the other way, and basically doing whatever illegal behaviour we fancy, would be absolutely fine, yeah?