Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

The point is that Sibon and others are too bigoted and full of hate to understand that cars kill people on pavements whilst bikes do not, yet still complains about cyclists.

All this despite the fact that more and more pavements are being made dual purpose because it isn't really a problem anyway.

As for bikes not being allowed on most pavements, well cars are not allowed on any and yet cars still kill people on them on a regular basis.

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 16:53 ----------

The stupidity here seems to be attacking cyclists and not 'unskilled and stupid' drivers who are actually killing thousands of people a years and injuring a much larger number.

You sound like the sort of person who during the blitz in WWII would complain about someone posting flyers on the wrong wall whilst bombs are falling around and destroying said walls. :loopy:

The other really dumb thing is that you think cyclist actually want to ride on pavements at all, particularly ones cluttered with pedestrians.

Cycling seems to make you rather angry. Might you be better off with a more tranquil mode of transport? Walking, perhaps?

Guest sibon
Cycling seems to make you rather angry. Might you be better off with a more tranquil mode of transport? Walking, perhaps?

I wouldn't like to encounter jezzy in a car when I'm riding my bike:o

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 17:18 ----------

The point is that Sibon and others are too bigoted and full of hate to understand that cars kill people on pavements whilst bikes do not, .

I understand that point perfectly. I haven't advocated allowing cars to use pavements. You can check if you like. Maybe you should stop frothing and actually read what others write.

Now, stop being all aggressive and try to post with a bit more balance. Bikes belong on roads with cars. Most pavements are for pedestrians.

Edited by sibon

I understand that point perfectly. I haven't advocated allowing cars to use pavements. You can check if you like. Maybe you should stop frothing and actually read what others write.

Now, stop being all aggressive and try to post with a bit more balance. Bikes belong on roads with cars. Most pavements are for pedestrians.

And we haven't even raised the subject of whether all bicycles should have bells yet...at least jezzy has a sense of humour about some things:

http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com/#id=album-5&num=content-27

Really, as I wrote that after my relaxing drive back home today along quiet country lanes and mostly traffic free edge of city.

BTW bigotry is the irritant, not any mode of transport.

BTW bigotry is the irritant, not any mode of transport.

It certainly appears to be so. Bigots decide they hate cyclists and then come up with some spurious reasons why. Those reasons disintegrate under any degree of examination.

Yet more dumb posting. Why would someone who promotes cycling, be a danger to cyclists?

I do, you make a fuss about the things that are not the real problem though your irrational bigotry.

Stop so obtuse, as pavements can be for pedestrians or bikes as well as bikes and pedestrians together.

The Netherlands manages to mix pedestrians and bikes without any fuss.

Guest sibon
Yet more dumb posting. Why would someone who promotes cycling, be a danger to cyclists?

You think that you are promoting cycling?

With your posting style?

I'm amazed.

You think that you are promoting cycling?

With your posting style?

I'm amazed.

Having contempt for people with the thinking capacity of the Klu Klux Klan only annoys the sort of people who practice such bigotry. There's no point worrying about what such horrible people think. I say think, spout irrational gibberish would in fact be more accurate.

Plus I'd be more worried if they liked what I posted.

There's a good reason why racist and sectarian posts are not allowed on SF. The nonsense spouted by the anti-cycling brigade is identical in tone, manner and lack of facts as they are. If you replaced the word cyclist in them with with black, immigrant or muslim, they'd be banned sharpish.

Though I think some of them have learned to be less obvious in their hatred, as such posts got removed so often.

Edited by jezzyjj

The road/ car argument is separate. I can assure you that you would be happy to cycle on the road whilst I'm driving my car, but then again, I'm not every motorist and there are some stupid ones of those out there too.

I don't know what the answer is, but transferring the risk from road to pavement doesn't look like a great solution to me.

I totally agree on both your statements. I respect every road user. I get just as frustrated with idiot drivers as I do with idiot cyclists or idiot pedestrians crossing the road for that matter.