Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

There is no transfer of risk from road to pavement though is there.

Cars kill cyclists. Cyclists don't kill pedestrians.

So in reality the overall level of risk is massively reduced.

So it only matters if it kills? Serious injury doesn't count? Cyclist can and do seriously injure pedestrians.

Do you understand the point I'm making at all? Or did you want to pick apart the wording some more?

Cyclists don't seriously injure many pedestrians either. Cars kill 3000 a year.

Overall the level of risk will be reduced if cyclists can use the pavement. Not that most will do so, for the reasons already given.

I am not picking apart wording. At least that was not my intention.

When you propose that risk is reduced. Who's risk do you mean? The risk to cyclists yes, the risk to pedestrians? If the latter, how can that be so when they have the same risk from cars and the added risk of being hit by a cyclist?

However it is put, cyclists riding on the pavement increases the chance of a pedestrian getting hit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3054115/Woman-scarred-life-falling-face-knocked-cyclist-riding-pavement.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-32843812

Edited by Hal9001

OK, if Cycling on the pavement was legal then yes I would agree. My problem is that it isn't so people don't expect to encounter bikes on the path. If they did they would be more vigilant, and the risk would definitely be reduced.

If it was legal then people would rapidly learn to expect it.

And it should only be legal if done at no more than running speed, and done safely (which depends on the level of traffic and the amount of space).

Personally I'd stick to the road the majority of the time, it gives priority (over side roads), it doesn't have pedestrians in the way, etc...

If it was legal then people would rapidly learn to expect it.

And it should only be legal if done at no more than running speed, and done safely (which depends on the level of traffic and the amount of space).

Personally I'd stick to the road the majority of the time, it gives priority (over side roads), it doesn't have pedestrians in the way, etc...

If cycling on the pavement were to be made legal, then it should be on the basis of cyclists giving way to pedestrians under all circumstances - no ifs or buts, but an absolute "pedestrians have priority". If there are a lot of pedestrians already on the pavement, then the reality is that you either get off and walk, or you stay on the road. Pavement cycling would only work when the pavement is not busy. If it is already busy with pedestrians, then cycling would not be practical.

Guest sibon
If cycling on the pavement were to be made legal, then it should be on the basis of cyclists giving way to pedestrians under all circumstances - no ifs or buts, but an absolute "pedestrians have priority". If there are a lot of pedestrians already on the pavement, then the reality is that you either get off and walk, or you stay on the road. Pavement cycling would only work when the pavement is not busy. If it is already busy with pedestrians, then cycling would not be practical.

Agreed entirely.

I have nothing to add:cool: