Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

So, why would you want to increase the risk to pedestrians by forcing them to share pavements with cyclists?

That can only have one effect upon the pedestrian accident stats.

I've said several times already that it would reduce the total cumulative risk.

Guest sibon
I've said several times already that it would reduce the total cumulative risk.

But increase the risk to pedestrians. That's my interest, I spend most of my time travelling on foot. I don't want to be dodging cyclists whilst I'm doing so.

We've got a self-confessed pedestrian hater on this thread. Imagine sharing a pavement with her.

No thanks.

Countless others, how very fascinating.

I have to say that in 30 years of driving and cycling, I've never even come close to hitting a pedestrian. Perhaps I'm lucky. Or, perhaps your cycling style is as poorly controlled and angry as your posting style.

Perhaps yours is entirely imaginary?

I've not avoided countless pedestrians. But commuting regularly I'd say it's around a couple every month.

I've had people walk out into the road in front of me several times, sometimes after looking and failing to see, and sometimes without even looking.

And I regularly find people walking in a cycle lane (I posted a video of it in a previous thread I think).

Guest sibon
Perhaps yours is entirely imaginary?

I've not avoided countless pedestrians. But commuting regularly I'd say it's around a couple every month.

I've had people walk out into the road in front of me several times, sometimes after looking and failing to see, and sometimes without even looking.

And I regularly find people walking in a cycle lane (I posted a video of it in a previous thread I think).

Walking in a cycle lane isn't illegal.

But increase the risk to pedestrians. That's my interest, I spend most of my time travelling on foot. I don't want to be dodging cyclists whilst I'm doing so.

We've got a self-confessed pedestrian hater on this thread. Imagine sharing a pavement with her.

No thanks.

The government are fortunately interested in everyones safety, and not just yours.

So you can have your NIMBY opinion, I doubt that it will alter anything. Cycling on the pavements is coming.

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 08:56 ----------

Is that supposed to be a defence?

Walking on the road isn't illegal either, so what.

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 08:56 ----------

You're all about what's safe and how someone should behave. Until it's a pedestrian and then it's "well, it's not illegal".

Guest sibon
The government are fortunately interested in everyones safety, and not just yours.

So you can have your NIMBY opinion, I doubt that it will alter anything. Cycling on the pavements is coming.

It isn't just my safety though. Compare the number of pedestrians to the number of cyclists.

Cycling on the pavement will make cyclists even less well regarded.

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 08:59 ----------

Is that supposed to be a defence?

Walking on the road isn't illegal either, so what.

[/color]You're all about what's safe and how someone should behave. Until it's a pedestrian and then it's "well, it's not illegal".

It is a perfect defence. It isn't illegal.

If you are on your bike, then you also have a duty of care towards the more vulnerable road user.

It isn't just my safety though. Compare the number of pedestrians to the number of cyclists.

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 08:59 ----------

If you are on your bike, then you also have a duty of care towards the more vulnerable road user.

And the pedestrian has a duty of care towards the cyclist, who is also a vulnerable road user.

And the pedestrian has a duty of care towards the cyclist, who is also a vulnerable road user.

Presumed liability would be a good thing to have here...whereby any fault is deemed to be due to the least vulnerable user. This is something that is common throughout Europe where cycling is more prevalent, and it places responsibility on motorists to have a duty of care to more vulnerable road users. This could be applicable to cyclists towards pedestrians also.

Overall it will reduce the risk.

Cyclist pedestrian accidents might increase, but they are far less dangerous than car cyclist accidents, which will decrease.

It's just extremely stupid and anti-social.

Cyclists are just as vulnerable as pedestrians. They don't have magic protection from their bike when they hit something.

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 09:30 ----------

I'd like sibon to video himself running out in front of traffic.

Use the perfect defence against the cars, "it's not illegal".

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 09:31 ----------

Notice how you carefully ignore the comment about pedestrians stepping into the road though! :rolleyes:

I have to say that in 30 years of driving and cycling, I've never even come close to hitting a pedestrian. Perhaps I'm lucky. Or, perhaps your cycling style is as poorly controlled and angry as your posting style.

I regularly encounter pedestrians stepping into roads without looking, often whilst looking at their phones (earlier this week it was a guy browsing around on his iPad). I've also never come close to hitting one, both as a driver and cyclist. The simple reason is, that I am considerably more careful than they are.

But either way, sibon, you can't have it both ways. This thread is about animosity towards cyclists, and one of the reasons often given is that cyclists often cycle on the pavement. Yet, the statistics show that very few pedestrians get injured or killed as a result of cyclists. So either there aren't that many cyclists riding on the pavements, or it's not actually that dangerous, or (the view which I would hold to) both.

So the haters really need to make their minds up - it's the same as WiseOwl going on about cyclists always going through red lights and then advocating carrying out dangerous overtakes in order to avoid getting stuck behind a cyclist at a red light.