Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Jeez, if we kept on like this every time you posted something wrong, then this thread would be much longer than 73 pages.

And yet you thought it worthwhile to post several lines to say I was wrong!?

Dear Adamskiec,

The 9790 deaths annually due to poor air quality in London alone obviously pale into insignificance in relation to a scratch on your car roof.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Seriously??? You had to respond to me like that? A cyclist goes through a crossing, on a red light, with pedestrians on it, scratches my car because I made him aware of his own actions and you have to try and belittle me with a response that bears no relation to what I've said in any of these posts.

I've made no pro-car, eco-bashing comments whatsover. If you're going to try bullying people online and try to make them look like the mean person they are not then at least read their posts properly first. Again, another indication of cyclists attitudes.

As for the eco-thing. I've just spent 8 years in the jungle in South America making my contribution to increasing the clean air you are breathing, don't give me stats and lectures on ecology.

The cyclist was wrong to run a light and wrong to bang on your car, we all know that.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 13:54 ----------

If you have never cycled that way and never checked, why did you feel the need to post about it?

Because it came up in the conversation and like I said I thought it was open to cycles. Turns out I was wrong. That's something that my ego can take, although I'll be sure to remember it's status for the future.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 13:57 ----------

Great attitude to take. Firstly, read my post again. I don't presume the cyclists have got to out-accelerate a car, I'm stating that cyclists regularly get to the front of the queue and then put the front end of their cycles in front of the traffic giving cars limited opportunity to overtake safely when the lights change. They have to wait for the cyclist to move out of the way.

Yes they do. What's the problem with this?

Secondly, I'm guessing it was a wedding ring or something, regardless, the cyclist jumped a red light with pedestrians on a crossing and he had absolutely no right on earth to touch my car whether it left a scratch or not. That just highlights your attitude and other cyclists towards other vehicles.

Yeah, fair enough. I've already said that I think they were wrong.

Thirdly, I collect the video as do four other vehicles that I am aware of in Sheffield. I get to see the video I have collected and not anybody elses. It is collected for a research group in an organisation who release the statistics back to people in the group. I'm sure I could probably get to see the other videos as well but I am not responsible for handling the video data or whether it gets released to the public domain. I accepted the offer of having the cameras fitted to my vehicle because I got sick of car drivers attitudes and bad driving habits, plus being the the close friend of an accident victim who is no longer with us thanks to a driver who thought he could squeeze through a light changing to red.

Given your response it's now starting to become clear why there is animosity towards cyclists. I used to be one, cycled Burncross to City Centre daily but gave up when the rest of the cyclists didn't bother with the rules and I got included with the bad reputation.

That's why I argue on these threads. Because I do cycle safely (and drive safely and walk safely), and it's extremely annoying to be grouped together with a minority who don't do these things safely, and when drivers deliberately endanger my life because they've got a chip on their shoulder it makes me incredibly angry.

I'm more sympathetic than Hicksy is when it comes to an idiot scratching your car - that is uncondonable, but again, why do you feel the behaviour you describe in the paragraph above is wrong? That's not giving cars limited opportunity to overtake safely, it's limiting them to only overtake safely (or as much as it is possibly to limit that).

I see where you're coming from and agree about the car drivers cutting cyclists up. Ripley Street on to the main road in Hillsborough is chronic for cars jumping the red light and driving over the corner of the pavements. Pedestrians are seriously at risk.

I'm not on the side of cars. I use one because there is no way I could travel the distances I need to go without one. I've also not had an accident, hit anybody, touched a cyclist or even had points on my license in 20 years of driving but that doesn't make other drivers or cyclists any safer. If I support anybody it's pedestrians except even they have a habit of slinging themselves across roads without looking these days. Just spend 10 minutes on West Street to see what I mean..... and they have crossings within 30 metres.

Going back to the cyclist thing, what's wrong with them keeping to the left as taught by the cycling profiency schools? My point is that many cyclists stop with the front end of their bike in front of the queued traffic. If you're wanting to cycle without creating the aggrevation of car drivers then just come to a stop at the left. Why should I get so much anger in responses to me over that?

Going back to the cyclist thing, what's wrong with them keeping to the left as taught by the cycling profiency schools?

This isn't what is taught or recommended.

Google "Cycling in the primary position" to learn more.

My point is that many cyclists stop with the front end of their bike in front of the queued traffic.

I would stop with my entire bike in front of the queue traffic if possible.

Because then they will have to overtake safely instead of driving past dangerously close.

Going back to the cyclist thing, what's wrong with them keeping to the left as taught by the cycling profiency schools? My point is that many cyclists stop with the front end of their bike in front of the queued traffic. If you're wanting to cycle without creating the aggrevation of car drivers then just come to a stop at the left. Why should I get so much anger in responses to me over that?

At some junctions I must admit I cycle through nearly in the middle of the road to stop tempting cars to overtake where there just isn't the space to overtake. This obviously annoys the drivers behind me, but I'm always going to put my safety above not annoying a car driver aren't I.

Not according to this.

I'm surprised that you didn't know:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 09:48 ----------

Which is how it should stay.

If we can't trust cyclists to know which pedestrian areas are for shared use, then there is no hope for shared pavements.

(Bold) That's a valid point, but one that is relevant to the discussion of shared pavements

Generally, with roads, there are kerbs, lane markings and junctions, and what is and isn't road is pretty darn obvious (even so issues present themselves like the Rivelin Valley Road thread where the edge of carriageway line is mistaken for a dividing line between a cycle path)

However on many shared routes there is vague signage, no markings and one can, in an unfamiliar area, find oneself becoming aware that the path is no longer shared use and has veered off somewhere; expecting all riders to have local knowledge or to have studied a map.

Or worse, a fence just straight across, as is the case with the Upper Don Walk cycle route and Millsands / Bridge Street, with no "route closed" sign as would be normal if a road were closed

I was recently pulled up for pavement cycling on Sheaf Street because the section after the Interchange and before Ponds Forge is just a narrow-ish pavement with advertising boards and no clear marking; and had to argue my point (you see, cyclists DO get stopped) - the section is actually clear but only in that there is nowhere else to go between clearer sections

With roads, it's simple. With cycle paths, how DOES one know in the absence of a sign or lane marking, where a path turns off or ends?

Because I do cycle safely (and drive safely and walk safely), and it's extremely annoying to be grouped together with a minority who don't do these things safely, and when drivers deliberately endanger my life because they've got a chip on their shoulder it makes me incredibly angry.

Exactly the point. It's not just cyclists, and I'm afraid there are a lot of bad ones out there, some that even think they are pro's and flout the rules. A huge number of bad car drivers too which is exactly why the research is being done. It's an attempt to push technological solutions and a situation where social solutions are cleary not working.

And Langsett Rd where the orange strip to the left is apparently NOT a cycle path. Easily confused for one though, since the only thing missing is a sign to indicate it.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 14:10 ----------

Exactly the point. It's not just cyclists, and I'm afraid there are a lot of bad ones out there, some that even think they are pro's and flout the rules. A huge number of bad car drivers too which is exactly why the research is being done. It's an attempt to push technological solutions and a situation where social solutions are cleary not working.

I don't agree with your opinion that most cyclists flout the rules though.

I think a minority do. But they attract attention and you remember them.