Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

I wish someone would change the record about rouge cyclists yes we have them but do we really have to be so repeatative on the minority.

A question I asked on another "cycling" thread How often do you come across a menace on a bike because most cyclists I come across are road worthy sensible riders and I do use the word most.

Now if I go out training which I do daily I have to travel through Hillsbrough and from my home in Longley to Malin Bridge I see many many incidents were motorists drive without due care I am so used to bad drivers that I am usually ready for them.

We have to share the road safely and my occational "mistake" and I'm only human and do make bad decisions though rarely then the motorist should be prepared for cyclists who maybe wobble a litle or come out from the edge because of glass or maybe wants to turn right which hacks you off because you have to change gear or break.

Us cyclists contridictory to what motorists say actually look after the safety of ourselves and you as a driver to make sure you don't run into us which saves your no claims bonus being comprimised.

We have a lot to deal with riding a bike on the road just be more patient.

All this may be true, but your use of divisive us/ them language highlights the lack of empathy between road users. See how less antagonistic the sentiment becomes if you describe "a person on a bike" or "a person in a car" rather than defining them as a cyclist or motorist. Not getting at you individually but making a general point.

All this may be true, but your use of divisive us/ them language highlights the lack of empathy between road users. See how less antagonistic the sentiment becomes if you describe "a person on a bike" or "a person in a car" rather than defining them as a cyclist or motorist. Not getting at you individually but making a general point.

Fair enough though a point that doesn't change the fact that i'm on the bike and the other is in the car.

My point is that drivers are not whiter than white and some clearly should not be on the road and have no respect for cyclists..However without taring all with the same brush once I get onto Loxley Rd then its a different world and car drivers seem to give you plenty of room so maybe its the stress factor on this Cities roads that play a part in careless driving, on both sides which adds to the argument to concerntrate on upgrading the road for cyclists in the busier roads.

---------- Post added 26-04-2015 at 14:45 ----------

there was some very scary incidents there, i have had similar incidents happen when i have been cycling but have managed to avoid serious injury by being more alert than the driver and swerving out of the way.

Thats what i was saying that most cyclists actually reduce accidents by being more on the ball than the car drivers because we have to look out for ourself and road users and I do it all the time..Please no more bad cycling threads there getting tiresome because i might have to log down incidents I have daily with drivers and that means I will have to spend hours and hours on here and unlike some on here I have a life ;)

I never expected a cycling thread would generate this amount of discussion, and do not have time to respond to all the points made so I'll let you guys fight it out.

But just to add UK cities like Sheffield are backwards in terms of planning, whilst my suburban London town is pretending to be bicycle friendly by capitalising on it. And cities like Copenhagen are centuries ahead >>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtX8qiC_rXE

From what I've read so far the quoted post above sums up the problem with Sheffield, and most probably many other parts of the country.

Yeah cos Denmark, Holland and co simply have loads of hills don't they? They have to rope together to fetch a newspaper there

Yeah cos Denmark, Holland and co simply have loads of hills don't they? They have to rope together to fetch a newspaper there

maybe the hills are an issue but that is no excuse not to take idea's from Holland and Denmark because if you spend enough time cycling up hills then they get easier and then benefiting yourself.

The gears on bikes these days are good enough to get you up them Sheffields hardly the Piranees is it

Still no excuse, many other Scandinavian regions are hilly and use Bicycle Lifts!

and most push bikes will be electric soon.

SCC planning is backwards and they have no excuses.

What makes anyone think Sheffield drivers have more animosity towards cyclists than any drivers in any big city?

Causing injury or death to anyone isn't really an ambition of mine but if it were my victim would most likely be another car/truck driver rather than a cyclist. However - do some cyclist 'pass the bullying down the line' so to speak?

For example - there's the 'stealth frightener' - they love to sneak up behind you then whizz past missing you by inches appearing to care less or even enjoy startling people.

Are they just getting revenge in lieu of the motorists who do it to them every day?

The red light jumpers don't particularly bother me - as long as they get off the bike and walk through the junction - ditto when they use a pelican crossing.

I don't intentionally block bike lanes and avoid driving in them.

There are idiots on bikes - in cars - in trucks - buses - everywhere but why cyclists would make enemies of motorists who are sympathetic and considerate towards them I really don't know.

Comments regarding the slow reactions and poor driving skills of motorists is a sweeping and innacurate generalisation and does nothing to improve relations between the 'warring parties'.

Is it really so surprising that in a city the size of Sheff with it's decaying over stressed roads, problems between all road users is inevitably going to increase?