Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

I did exactly this on a ride last night - once where a white BMer forced me off the road on a narrow lane - they didn't move an inch over to the left to allow room and then I was going up another narrow lane and pulled over to let a van past me.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 08:46 ----------

Ahem:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10991697&postcount=292

The ignorance comment was regarding the woman in the video.

In my experience I can site as many cases of deliberate cyclist madness as I can of motorist madness. And being cut up by either produces the same foul mouthed reaction in me.

If anything I'm much more unforgiving of motorists than cyclists.

I gave up cycling/motorcycling in the early 2000s - why? The weight of traffic/nutty drivers - on our roads has made two wheel travel just too risky in my humble.

If I had young kids I wouldn't let them cycle on the roads.

Of course we should be able to cycle safely with due consideration from other road users but get real - would you feel happier if you're accidentally killed/injured by a 'careful' driver than you would be if you're killed/injured by an ego tripping inconsiderate idiot? :huh:

Competent vehicle drivers accept that there are other idiotic car drivers out there.

Competent cyclists DON'T accept that there are other idiotic cyclists out there.

Road/ commuter cyclists have an arrogance that seems to stem from them thinking they are better than vehicle drivers, and that they seem to be immune from prosecution for bad practice due to having no registration. If a driver runs a red light or goes the wrong way down a one way street, he will be captured on film and fined. If a cyclists does the same, they wont.

Competent vehicle drivers accept that there are other idiotic car drivers out there.

Competent cyclists DON'T accept that there are other idiotic cyclists out there.

Road/ commuter cyclists have an arrogance that seems to stem from them thinking they are better than vehicle drivers, and that they seem to be immune from prosecution for bad practice due to having no registration. If a driver runs a red light or goes the wrong way down a one way street, he will be captured on film and fined. If a cyclists does the same, they wont.

ive seen a lot of angry cyclists. But then again its a much more insecure position so they are bound to be more aggressive.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 13:06 ----------

In my experience I can site as many cases of deliberate cyclist madness as I can of motorist madness. And being cut up by either produces the same foul mouthed reaction in me.

If anything I'm much more unforgiving of motorists than cyclists.

I gave up cycling/motorcycling in the early 2000s - why? The weight of traffic/nutty drivers - on our roads has made two wheel travel just too risky in my humble.

If I had young kids I wouldn't let them cycle on the roads.

Of course we should be able to cycle safely with due consideration from other road users but get real - would you feel happier if you're accidentally killed/injured by a 'careful' driver than you would be if you're killed/injured by an ego tripping inconsiderate idiot? :huh:

you tend to get more righteous on two wheels...the UK is just not setup for road / town cycling unlike other cycle friendly countries like holland.

I see a lot of cyclists out in the peaks...not sure if its any safer.

cyclings just unsafe and thats due to the amount of traffic on the roads and stupid drivers going too fast...i wouldnt go back on the roads on unprotected two wheels until proper cycle lanes and safety measures are provided.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/ctc-cycling-statistics#How many people cycle and how often?

Check out 18 and 19. Not cycling is more risky than cycling, in terms of your overall health.

Yes they do, there are 15 pages of competent cyclists accepting that there idiots on/in all forms of transport.

And now your true colours are shown, didn't take very long.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 13:10 ----------

I cycle frequently and drive a car.I totally agree about SOME cyclists.The thing that irritates me most is cyclists riding 2 or more abreast in the countryside slowing everybody else down.

So the thing that irritates you the most is cyclists behaving legally, in a way that increases their safety and makes overtaking easier (yes, easier, if you overtake correctly).

To whichever numpty was riding their bike up Rivelin Bank in the rush hour:

From one cyclist to another- you're a d*@k!

You had a queue of five or six cars behind you, unable to overtake, with nowhere for you to pull in safely. A quick check on an ordnance survey map shows that short stretch of road crossing six contour lines; there's a clue in there.

There's the much quieter Racker Way (OK you have to carry your bike over some steps near the bottom).Or the much wider Walkley Road where vehicles can overtake safely.

I was cross reading the previous poster talk about the 'arrogance' of commuter and road cyclists; I don't see that applying to me. However, you personify the kind of arrogance and stupidity that gets all cyclists an undeserved bad name.