Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

I got told to 'f-ing look where you are going' by an angry cyclist outside barclays bank in town.

I looked one way (because it was a one way road) but obviously she was coming the other way up the cycle path, cyclist darn nearly ran me over. A sorry would of been nice.

It would have been. Did you apologise for stepping out without looking?

Cyclists should of course be watchful for dozy people wandering out, you can usually spot them beforehand and ride accordingly, but if it is the road I am thinking of, then it's 2-way for cycles. A good example of the council creating shoddy facilities that bring people into conflict

Edit. Prior to the introductions of ASLs, in busy traffic, cyclists either had to occupy the primary position, and be part of the queue of traffic, or choose the left hand filter and risk being squeezed by traffic driving at the side of them as the queue of traffic moves, leaving them little room. Now that there are ASLs, cyclists are able to filter to a safe position.

Interestingly, Transport Research Laboratory found that advanced stop lines were overall the best way to improve signal controlled intersections for cyclists.

http://bit.ly/1bigGMv

In a subjective study, carried out by myself, in 75% (n=4) of red traffic signals motor vehicles failed to observe the ASL for cyclists at the top of Alma Street (Kelham Island).

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 17:47 ----------

Cyclone I'm sorry but I'm not blind but I do see a high percentage of commuting cyclists disobey traffic lights ( majority) I appreciate you do obey red lights etc but I can only comment on what I experience and that is over the last 27 years as a professional driver on the roads of Sheffield.i have on my license catorgory for car/ motorcycles/ pcv

This study in Melbourne, Australia found a massive minority - 6.9% of cyclists passed red lights.

http://bit.ly/1Gzl16V

Whereas this one showed a small majority (56%) in China

http://bit.ly/1GzlkP7

Another Australian minority (37%, self-reported) here

http://bit.ly/1bYR7l4

I cannot find any peer-reviewed data for compliance in Sheffield, or indeed any other European city, but results from elsewhere suggest it is unlikely that a majority of cyclists infringe red lights in Sheffield.

I remember someone posting
a while back of some cyclists inconsiderately and arrogantly holding up Sheffield drivers ;-)

That video was clearly of an organised cycling event with support vehicle, they did not hold up the traffic at all, it was moving fine.

Go and see car traffic round meadowhall during Christmas shopping and tell me who is holding up who, it won't be a cyclist.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 18:51 ----------

If you want to measure inconsiderance and arrogance by the speed vehicles travel and distance travelled over time, cars will win in rush hour even over a cyclist going up jenkin rd.

Edited by dutch

It's arrogant and stupid to pick a route where you'll cause more obstruction than needed.

On Rivelin Bank this morning the cyclist was causing a holdup that had reached Watersmeet Road; a little bit more than a few seconds.

Well you know there's nothing to stop the drivers caught in this 'holdup' getting a bike and joining him. They'll have a lot more fun getting to work and get fitter at the same time.

I was unfortunately a witness to a cyclist laying on the floor in a serious condition on Hathersage Road on Wednesday night his bike was in a equally bad condition as he was.

Suprise surprise the car driver sped off.

The poor cyclist looked dead i wasn't sure but I later heard he is seriously injured.

The good news is that I have listened to all the comments on this thread and as I admitted I ride in the curb because its safer many of you disagreed and it was safer to ride away from the curb.

Due to years of cycling in the curb I decided to try it yesterday and today on my training rides and I did feel safer away from from the curb and drivers gave me a wide berth so even an old pro like me has learned something new.

Well you know there's nothing to stop the drivers caught in this 'holdup' getting a bike and joining him. They'll have a lot more fun getting to work and get fitter at the same time.

Or even the drivers picking a route that wouldn't be blocked by a single cyclist.

Fun cycling up Hagg Hill are you mad even I avoid that hill :hihi:

The good news is that I have listened to all the comments on this thread and as I admitted I ride in the curb because its safer many of you disagreed and it was safer to ride away from the curb.

Due to years of cycling in the curb I decided to try it yesterday and today on my training rides and I did feel safer away from from the curb and drivers gave me a wide berth so even an old pro like me has learned something new.

Excellent news. Keep safe.

It might be worth you having a look at Cyclecraft as there are an number of other counter-intuitive things it mentions. They have copies in Sheffield libraries.