Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Ive tried skipping and reading and catching up, im a commuter cyclist and have enjoyed it for the last 2 years(riding all my life offroad till now)

A thing that strikes me when im cycling is how a close call with a car can bring on serious amounts of adrenaline, you just dont get this adrenaline in a car unless its really really close to a big crash. i think this is why us cyclists get so angry with a bad car driving moment. I feel Sheffield car drivers are pretty good and only had two incidents where i felt the car driver was on purpose causing me a issue. The other few close calls have been mistakes on there part and occasionally on mine.

We cyclists do feel smug and i think this annoys car drivers the most but we feel smug because we are as people programmed to feel good when our bodies exercise and release chemicals.

So basically i think the bad points and good points of cycling come from fight or flight behavior. We are share the roads and just need to give space for each other and be mindful of what we are all are (humans trying to move around).

Ps everyone pays road tax it comes from normal tax's vehicles are taxed based on their emissions (not sure if this got clarified earlier on)and most cyclists own a car anyway so its the worst anti cycling jibe going.

Anyway ill be cycling tomorrow up some steep hills where the cars beat me,and on my way home ill be beating the cars as i go down steep hills.

It would have been. Did you apologise for stepping out without looking?

Cyclists should of course be watchful for dozy people wandering out, you can usually spot them beforehand and ride accordingly, but if it is the road I am thinking of, then it's 2-way for cycles. A good example of the council creating shoddy facilities that bring people into conflict

Yeah i did actually. She swore at me.

It sounds like you came close to causing a collision, no wonder she swore at you.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 22:24 ----------

I was unfortunately a witness to a cyclist laying on the floor in a serious condition on Hathersage Road on Wednesday night his bike was in a equally bad condition as he was.

Suprise surprise the car driver sped off.

The poor cyclist looked dead i wasn't sure but I later heard he is seriously injured.

The good news is that I have listened to all the comments on this thread and as I admitted I ride in the curb because its safer many of you disagreed and it was safer to ride away from the curb.

Due to years of cycling in the curb I decided to try it yesterday and today on my training rides and I did feel safer away from from the curb and drivers gave me a wide berth so even an old pro like me has learned something new.

The police have appealed for witnesses, if you saw anything remotely useful then get in touch with them.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 22:26 ----------

you run up hagg hill? :surprised

Fair play :clap::clap::smile:

I think if i had a car with a better engine i might consider going up there if i needed too but with current car - it would cause more issues than its worth. :)

Took me about a year before I could get to the top without stopping.

See new thread above, another cyclist left for dead by a motorist at Dore who decided not to stop .a bit like the lad killed at Millhouses about a year ago when two motorists were racing each other after a row.

Title of thread ,Appeal for another cyclist left injured by motorist.

Edited by cuttsie

It sounds like you came close to causing a collision, no wonder she swore at you.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 22:24 ----------

The police have appealed for witnesses, if you saw anything remotely useful then get in touch with them.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 22:26 ----------

Took me about a year before I could get to the top without stopping.

My commute typically takes me along Hangingwater Road, up over Crosspool and down Stephen Hill and Hagg Lane to Malin Bridge. I used to regularly see a cyclist coming the other way, at different points on the same route, but in the opposite direction. He appeared to be doing Hagg Hill - Stephen Hill, every day. I often wondered if he did Highcliffe Road also, as he was heading in that direction.

I've not seen him for the past few years, so I don't know if he's changed jobs, retired, or what.

My commute typically takes me along Hangingwater Road, up over Crosspool and down Stephen Hill and Hagg Lane to Malin Bridge. I used to regularly see a cyclist coming the other way, at different points on the same route, but in the opposite direction. He appeared to be doing Hagg Hill - Stephen Hill, every day. I often wondered if he did Highcliffe Road also, as he was heading in that direction.

I've not seen him for the past few years, so I don't know if he's changed jobs, retired, or what.

Probably been runore.

The old fella who cycles up Walkey lane on a half decent Ridgeback commuter bike impresses me. Sits doing a wobbly "sit-down-trackstand" at the lights by Hillsborough Interchange with a roll-up hanging from his mouth, pedals slowly and steadily up the hill and by the time he reaches South Road his fag is just about finished.

Don't know how he does it, my lungs wouldn't cope with hills and smoking

Of course, primary position is the best approach - as long as the driver behind doesn't try to just hit you instead, as I experienced not 45 minutes ago. Approaching a traffic island I see a red Honda coming up behind, thought "just to make sure he doesn't do something really crazy I'll make sure I'm as central as possible, only for him to swerve at me. All in order to arrive at the upcoming red traffic light 3 seconds or so before me.

The old fella who cycles up Walkey lane on a half decent Ridgeback commuter bike impresses me. Sits doing a wobbly "sit-down-trackstand" at the lights by Hillsborough Interchange with a roll-up hanging from his mouth, pedals slowly and steadily up the hill and by the time he reaches South Road his fag is just about finished.

Don't know how he does it, my lungs wouldn't cope with hills and smoking

Could be funny fag:hihi: