Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

i do not cycle in sheffield any more as i got sick of cycle ways,most of which are pavements or a bit of painted tarmac,both of which or in constant renewal,this means that cyclists are having to go in and out of road traffic or "annoy" pedestrians.i can understand as a car driver that having to give room time and again to a cyclist in narrow lanes on same route slows us down,roadworks are also seemingly endless.as for cyclists not obeying red lights i agree however they only put themselves at risk,in general,what about the next three to four cars that go through!not to mention mobiles

Got back from Amsterdam last weekend.

You drivers would have kittens if you lived there. Hoewever cyclist and drivers have total respect for one another, both going about the daily activities in a harmonies way. In fact cyclist get priority over car drivers.

For a pedestrian trying to cross the road its like playing real life frogger.

The poisonous cyclist v motorist debate is a UK problem. Cyclist have a right to use the roads and in most places pavements have dual capacity for pedestrians. If most drivers respected cyclist and drove with due care and attention cyclist would be more inclined to use roads and not have to resort to pavements for their own safety.

Car users would be much more forgiving if those pesky cyclists actually paid road tax.

If you've been paying road tax you're being ripped off: it was abolished in the 30s. Motorists pay for the use of polluting fuels. Cyclists, and all other road users pay for the highways via income tax.

In answer to the original question, I'd lay quite a lot of blame on UK media, particularly the petrolhead fraternity of 'Top Gear'.

Basically there's a lot of scapegoating and stereotyping going on. Privatisation failed to create cheap, efficient and reliable public transport, forcing people into expensive, inefficient personal transport. Running a car gets more and more expensive even though people have little choice but to do so. All that frustration has to vent somewhere, and sadly it falls on the heads of people who haven't done a thing to deserve it.

There is no such thing as a 'cyclist' or a 'motorist', Just people who use different modes of transport at different times. Often they use several. You cannot define a person by their mode of transport, because the 'cyclist' you hurl abuse at probably also drives, takes public transport or walks places too. Which of these activities causes the road behaviour that's irked you so much?

All people using roads are capable of crimes and misdemeanours at times. No one is exempt. One of the worst is assuming that the roads belong to one form of transport only.

---------- Post added 23-05-2015 at 08:12 ----------

link removed

That incident proves that some children were ill-behaved in a supermarket. I don't think the bikes made them do it :)

Edited by birobasher

In answer to the original question, I'd lay quite a lot of blame on UK media, particularly the petrolhead fraternity of 'Top Gear'.

Basically there's a lot of scapegoating and stereotyping going on. Privatisation failed to create cheap, efficient and reliable public transport, forcing people into expensive, inefficient personal transport. Running a car gets more and more expensive even though people have little choice but to do so. All that frustration has to vent somewhere, and sadly it falls on the heads of people who haven't done a thing to deserve it.

There is no such thing as a 'cyclist'. Or a 'motorist'. Just people who use different modes of transport at different times. Often they use several. You cannot define a person by their mode of transport, because the 'cyclist' you hurl abuse at probably also drives, takes public transport or walks places too. Which of these activities causes the road behaviour that's irked you so much?

All people using roads are capable of crimes and misdemeanours at times. No one is exempt. One of the worst is assuming that the roads belong to one form of transport only.

---------- Post added 23-05-2015 at 08:12 ----------

That incident proves that some children were ill-behaved in a supermarket. I don't think the bikes made them do it :)

Check the title of the thread mate - the link is relevant and still available on my original post.

Regards :)

We're still talking about individuals behaving in various ways. And even if someone with a bike does something wrong, why should that count over someone driving a car doing something wrong? It's scapegoating.

I've never heard cycling called that before! :huh:

All road users are being screwed over with poor infrastructure that puts us all at risk. I'd happily stay off roads if there were well-designed segregated cycle paths that allowed people on bikes to get where they're going. Instead we have 'morse code' paths which appear and disappear seemingly at random. There are some improvements happening e.g. Penistone Road, but the bike lanes haven't really changed at all.

---------- Post added 23-05-2015 at 08:39 ----------

Check the title of the thread mate - the link is relevant and still available on my original post.

Regards :)

I had to remove the link as the forum spam guard wouldn't allow me to quote it.

Cheers,

Andrew