Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

All road users are being screwed over with poor infrastructure that puts us all at risk. I'd happily stay off roads if there were well-designed segregated cycle paths that allowed people on bikes to get where they're going. Instead we have 'morse code' paths which appear and disappear seemingly at random. There are some improvements happening e.g. Penistone Road, but the bike lanes haven't really changed at all.

---------- Post added 23-05-2015 at 08:39 ----------

I had to remove the link as the forum spam guard wouldn't allow me to quote it.

Cheers,

Andrew

The improvements on penistone road are largely a joke. Particularly going into town. As ever there's no real thought going into cycling infrastructure. Just box ticking.

Speaking of animosity, or more a case of idiotic behaviour in this case, I was subjected to a stupid prank whilst cycling home a few weeks back. Some silly little boys in their white van thought it would be amusing to drive right up alongside me with their window open, lean out and shout really loudly at me. Yes, very clever to startle a cyclist, very clever.

Speaking of animosity, or more a case of idiotic behaviour in this case, I was subjected to a stupid prank whilst cycling home a few weeks back. Some silly little boys in their white van thought it would be amusing to drive right up alongside me with their window open, lean out and shout really loudly at me. Yes, very clever to startle a cyclist, very clever.

Did you chase them down and kick their ass? :hihi:

No, I've no need to go that way, it would probably add 50% to my journey time.

Also, I've had a bit of a cold, so I've taken the car for the past few days.

Ok. I saw a bloke cycling along (who liked like a "cyclist" rather than pleasure rider" minus a helmet and wondered if it was you - assuming you are indeed a bloke :blush:). If not sorry for assuming so :blush:

It's because they nearly all run red lights and generally flout the rules of the road in a manner which they'd never dream of doing with an identifiable and traceable registration on display.

Yeah, yeah, back under your bridge.