Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

victim - ˈvɪktɪm

noun

a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.

Thanks for the description although i did already know its meaning hence my using of the word :)

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 08:38 ----------

Victim of his own mistake though.

And such a funny one too :hihi:

Awww, bless. Even in a video where the only person at fault is the cyclist someone still *tries to make out cyclists are victims lol.

*my bold

If you knew the meaning of the word (reply 573) why didn't you use it correctly?

Furthermore, in motor vehicle v cyclist accidents. Cyclists are always the victims the driver or rider of the motor vehicle rarely is.

I think you're confusing 'victim' and who is at fault.

My last word on this.

*my bold

If you knew the meaning of the word (reply 573) why didn't you use it correctly?

Its use was spot on for the situation thanks. Tell me, do you think the cyclist was a muppet and should be fined for not riding in a safe manner?

I flinched.

He wasn't looking and suffered as a result. It must have hurt and the bike might have been damaged. The car might have been okay.

Now

Imagine the roles and vehicles reversed.

That's why comparisons of the two are only slightly relevant.

The cyclist always suffers.

Or imagine it was a little old lady at a pedestrian crossing that he blindly ploughed into (or even non-blindly, since so many cyclists don't bother with red lights).

Just because bikes are less dangerous doesn't mean they can never cause harm. If using a public road, such lack of attention really is inexcusable.

Just because bikes are less dangerous doesn't mean they can never cause harm. If using a public road, such lack of attention really is inexcusable.

People will make mistakes though. I'm sure many people on the forum have been rear ended by a driver behind them not paying attention, I know I have, I stopped in traffic and watched the woman behind drive into the back of me (in the rear view)...

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 10:22 ----------

or even non-blindly, since so many cyclists don't bother with red lights

Motorists as well.

My mate just sent me this from his journey home on Friday

Edited by Cyclone

Motorists as well.

My mate just sent me this from his journey home on Friday

I see that two or three times a day on my commute, it's funny that you don't see many posts from people complain about it.

I see that two or three times a day on my commute, it's funny that you don't see many posts from people complain about it.

I can see these lights on St Marys Gate

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.373634,-1.478352,3a,75y,290.82h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPgzmTcHlo4f3gwX4KVgYfQ!2e0

From my office window. When they're active (busy periods) they get ignored about once every five minutes (maybe more if I watched more often).

You can see the cars decide well in advance not to bother stopping, they can have been on red for any length of time, some just decide that they'll drive straight through.

And this 1 way street with no entry signs;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.373299,-1.477359,3a,75y,275.25h,91.11t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1syxtaYpqhITl2uZ7B68lbFA!2e0

Several cars every day turn into it, through the no entry and then drive the wrong way up it.

The vid clip isn't funny, but as a cyclist myself I TOTALLY disagree with the poster saying he is a victim…. he is a victim only of his own lack of attention, I will tell you exactly what he is doing….Hes looking at his bike computer seeing if he's beating his mates on that Strava thing!! Head down, trying to beat them all..for bragging rights..nothing more! And the poster who asked what if he hit an old lady…good point, maybe she should be looking as well, but old people get confused, the cyclist is just totally oblivious, there is a difference.Its all well and good as a cyclist looking at your computer, but if all car drivers went round scrutinising their speedos it would be even more unsafe for cyclists!! The computer on my bike is only really checked for gradient..nothing more, I wait till I'm home to look at all the fancy speed sections/heart rate etc.